Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I dunno’ I am with @Ginx snewx on this one, I think a track over Boston is more likely than a track over Albany.

Climo or history wise its way more likely.  ALB tracks have happened but more so in a straightforward manner like 1/87 or 3/93...this is a strange ass capture scenario at 100 plus hours so yeah I'd say something like HAT-NYC-BOS is way more likely to bet on

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

No, the fact that they did, and then inexorably marched towards the OP for the past two days. If the ens had matched the OP from the get-go, it would have been an easy call to not invest.

well...the immediate next sentence, "*However*, lacking an alternate eye-candy, that may simply be an artifact of there not - at present ... - being a physically available solution in that space.."   means there may not be any other solution; the physicality of the period is what it is. 

I mean there's some speculation there, too.  But the mean is not likely to 'match the operational' ...not beyond 120 hours. 

Having said that.. uuuusually the the weight of the ensemble mean at 144+ will win out over any one member, including the operational - in the absolute sense.  In that sense, one may feel 'teased' here. There are times, however, where the higher resolution "physical equation endowed" operational versions win going the other way.  It's entirely possible, this is one of those occasions.

I still would like to see if a 'weaker' relay at 24 hours .. then again at 72 hours, from off the Pacific might cause this to modulate going forward. 

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

well...the immediate next sentence, "*However*, lacking an alternate eye-candy, that may simply be an artifact of there not - at present ... - being a physically available solution in that space.."   means there may not be any other solution; the physicality of the period is what it is. 

I mean there's some speculation there, too.  But the mean is not likely to 'match the operational' ...not beyond 120 hours. 

Having said that.. uuuusually the the weight of the ensemble mean at 144+ will win out over any one member, including the operational - in the absolute sense.  There are times, however, where the higher resolution "physical equation endowed" operational versions win going the other way.  It's entirely possible, this is one of those occasions.

I still would like to see if a 'weaker' relay at 24 hours .. then again at 72 hours, from off the Pacific might cause this to modulate going forward. 

No, I get what you mean and I was always leery of that..its just frustrating to see it actually breaking that way in a season in which very little has gone right for MBY. Obviously I know the ens mean is usually a useful tool, but like any other, the upper bounds of its utility is the degree to which we can deploy it effectively. That is forever a work in progress.

I was obviously speaking from emotion to a degree; I admitted that.

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

No, I get what you mean and I was always leery of that..its just frustrating to see it actually breaking that way in a season in which very little has gone right for MBY. Obviously I know the ens mean is usually a useful tool, but like any other, the upper bounds of its utility is the degree to which we can utilize it effectively. That is forever a work in  progress.

I was obviously speaking from emotion to a degree, I admitted that.

Yeah...I mentioned that to Wiz'  that you said you were frustrated - end of story... lol -

Look, I'm not numb to it. I'd like to see/experience a really good storm and have it be the stuff of cryo-coke legend.   I almost suspect this winter is a one ...maybe two, even less likely, a three and done type of year.  It's not scientific?  But it feels that way... It's like, what we get out of this year in that regard, is going to happen in a like a single two week stint, otherwise, it's going to be a speed soaked sheared out shit-show.   The -PNA in Dec didn't help, either - only added to the sting...but I also feel that we've been dealing with some of that broadly scaled, neg/destructive interference regardless of ENSOs, or intraseasonal index modes...et al, spanning enough years now that heh - no faith or reason why it will suddenly stop...

I don't ...whatever, this storm is going to perhaps go down as nailing a bigger system, with no f'ing dividends to show for it.  Hahaha.   man, what a CD

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah...I mentioned that to Wiz'  that you said you were frustrated - end of story... lol -

Look, I'm not numb to it. I'd like to see/experience a really good storm and have it be the stuff of cryo-coke legend.   I almost suspect this winter is a one ...maybe two, even less likely, a three and done type of year.  It's not scientific?  But it feels that way... It's like, what we get out of this year in that regard, is going to happen in a like a single two week stint, otherwise, it's going to be a speed soaked shear shit.   The -PNA in Dec didn't help...but I also feel that we've been dealing with some of that broadly scaled, neg/destructive interference regardless of ENSOs, or intraseasonal index modes...et al, spanning enough years now that heh - no faith or reason why it will suddenly stop...

I don't ...whatever, this storm is going to perhaps go down as nailing a bigger system, with no f'ing dividends to show for it.  Hahaha.   man, what a CD

There is a reason for it to stop... so this f8$%king piece of shit can phase enough to track over Brattleboro and ruin my life for the next month.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

How about raining at 32 ... when the thermal momentum quanta bounce, keeps it liquid despite being freezing...

I have always been fascinated by the phenomena of being in the 20s when precipitation begins, shooting up to 32.5F and then not budging from that temperature for hours.

It’s as if the atmosphere has a sense of humor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just think ... in alternate universe theory, there is one that is identical to this one, with one and only one, singular difference being ...

The JMA is the "Euro" and the Euro is the "JMA" 

Man... that 120 to 144 hour JMA solution from 12z ...why can't that model be all the golden ballz

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One reason to remain somewhat optimistic for more snow is that the antecedent airmass is strong, so if that high holds on just a shade longer, you prob get disproportional return on the snowfall in the positive direction. You can even see it on the some of the ensemble members. Some of the ones that hold onto the high just a smidge more thump 8-12" in a pretty large area over SNE.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1