Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This seems like it moves along....maybe that changes, but right now...I don't view this as a protracted, deep layer east fetch like that.

Agreed...more progressive. It does have very mature conveyor belts with deep inflow, but I don't see this as being a 30+ hour job. Prob 12-15.

• Like 1

Just now, Cyclone-68 said:

I do not vouch for the veracity if this, but a friend of a friend posted something on Facebook to the effect of this being a “once in 50 year storm”? Obviously I asked my friend if she could send me the link where she read this 

Social media, idiot driven hype storm.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

I do not vouch for the veracity if this, but a friend of a friend apparently posted something on Facebook to the effect of this being a “once in 50 year storm”? Obviously I asked my friend if she could send me the link where she read this 

It means nothing but my grandpa was telling me we are gonna get a huge snowstorm this year. He’s old and definitely just making things up, but I can hope he’s right, right?

• Haha 1

Also... because of this system's total history, by the time it is abeam of our latitude is going to be very large, relative to these NJ modeler events. 

If we see a closed consensus on an ensemble mean over the BM, this sort of system probably deforms out over the Capital District of eastern NY.

ALSO, 5.5 really .. not D6 ... by virtue of size and totality, it's actually D4 down in the TV ...  It's a long curvi-linear event, swooping deeply from the plains to capture/phase, then charge up the coast... Size starts to close the gap on lead time in that sense --> increased confidence by weight in the flow...

I also would not "plan" so much for a fast mover, despite current appeal in that regard.  Firstly, its size means that fast is relative, because you could take 18 hours to traverse the quadrants by virtue of space alone.  Also, given to the depth of the system, and the still uncertain influence from possible  -NAO flex, at 5 days lead that's plenty of time for the NAO to factor in future runs. Having the heights relaxed over Miami ( general metric...) prior to this whole ordeal, helps the slowing cause.

This system, as impressive as its emerged ( rather abruptly ...even I thought it might take a day or so of cycles when I first posted about this this morning - I'm a bit awed at how quickly this exploded into reasonable consensus... ), still has an upside to it, frankly.  For storm enthusiasts, you like where this sets at D5/6 lead: it has upside while already being impressive - that's a bit different, when playing the odds, then seeing perfection on a D8 chart. Then knowing it hast to survive probability gauntlet of buck-shot fractals bullets.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Also... because of this system's total history, by the time it is abeam of our latitude is going to be very large, relative to these NJ modeler events. 

If we see a closed consensus on an ensemble mean over the BM, this sort of system probably deforms out over the Capital District of eastern NY.

ALSO, 5.5 really .. not D6 ... by virtue of size and totality, it's actually D4 in down in the TV ...  It's a long curvi-linear events, swooping deeply from the plains to capture/phase, then charge up the coast...  I also would not "plan" so much for a fast mover, despite current appeal in that regard.  Firstly, its size means that fast is relative, because you could take 18 hours to traverse the quadrants by virtue of space alone.  Also, given to the depth of the system, and the still uncertain influence from possible  -NAO flex, at 5 days lead that's plenty of time for the NAO to factor in future runs. 

This system, as impressive as its emerged ( rather abruptly ...even I thought it might take a day or so of cycles when I first posted about this this morning - I'm a bit awed at quickly this exploded into reasonable consensus... ), still has an upside to it, frankly.  For storm enthusiasts, you like where this sets at D5/6 lead: it has upside while already being impressive - that's a bit different, when playing the odds, then seeing perfection on a D8 chart. Then knowing it hast to survive probability gauntlet of buck-shot fractals bullets.

You and Steve have been all over this. Great job at advanced leads. I think I had the right idea in the aggregate this season, but rushed everything by a couple of weeks. First KU window from early Novie was last week of December and first week of January.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NotSureWeather said:

It means nothing but my grandpa was telling me we are gonna get a huge snowstorm this year. He’s old and definitely just making things up, but I can hope he’s right, right?

About a month out...I predicted my first measurable snowfall of this year to within 1 day. Pleased with my now proven long range forecasting abilities, I immediately decided to forecast a 36" blizzard for CT on January 18. You're welcome CT posters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Confidence high on a storm on the EPS, but plenty of spread....but not bad for D6.

I noted that in my AFD this morning. Ensembles show spread in two ways, in time and in position. Usually you’ll see those 24 hour QPF lines for every member with a random scattering of events throughout time. However the ensembles right now are all showing the same time window for precip. The ones that don’t are because they are out to sea, not because they don’t think they’ll be a storm. It’s a pretty strong signal, especially this far out. 

• Like 5