Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 14-15th Hybrid Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

15 hours ago, weatherbo said:

I spent quite a bit of time in other subs the past few days and none have the vibe of the lakes.  Their banter is awesome.  This is one of the more boring subs.

Considering a good amount of the posters in this thread saw this storm travel around them and drop big dog totals to the west, south and east of them, I'd say the vibes were as good as they could be until you posted.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, dmc76 said:

In the last 3-4 years. I haven’t been on much but I have noticed very few Michigan and Ontario posters. It has Turned into western lakes (Chicagoland) circle jerk.  And no. I have not seen him in a very long time. Last time I heard of him he lived in Edmonton. 

for the record it was not Bo who fired the first shot. Though he did say the thread was boring.:lol: For the record I don't mind being a boring circle jerk. Perhaps some good natured "poking the bear" is what we need to change our karma.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, luckyweather said:

Civil war 1 - whole sub vs Ohio. Civil war 2 - Chicago vs UP. We ain’t never needed a spread the wealth storm as bad as we need one right now.

I dont think there's any civil wars. If bo likes it so much in the other forums, than stay in them. I still don't get why the ohio posters feel the need to have their own thread. Were they alienated that bad? Yea everyone wants snow but im happy they got their snow, beats the coast anyday.

Well that was the peak right there.  Nothing left to live for.  All downhill from here.  That was 3-4"/hr rates around 8am yesterday.  Never experienced snow up to my knees.  Eyeballing 16-18" range but it's so hard to tell with all the blowing snow.

And a Blizzard Warning!!  Never did I think I'd see the day.

I used to sh*t all over YYZ but reading twitter it's clicking how hard airport snowfall obs must be when there's tons of wind.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

I dont think there's any civil wars. If bo likes it so much in the other forums, than stay in them. I still don't get why the ohio posters feel the need to have their own thread. Were they alienated that bad? Yea everyone wants snow but im happy they got their snow, beats the coast anyday.

I feel like the lone wolf here in Central Indiana I swear

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Well that was the peak right there.  Nothing left to live for.  All downhill from here.  That was 3-4"/hr rates around 8am yesterday.  Never experienced snow up to my knees.  Eyeballing 16-18" range but it's so hard to tell with all the blowing snow.

I used to sh*t all over YYZ but reading twitter it's clicking how hard airport snowfall obs must be when there's tons of wind.

Very nice.  Were you guys expecting that much there, or did it sort of ramp up at the last minute?  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Very nice.  Were you guys expecting that much there, or did it sort of ramp up at the last minute?  

From what I saw, they were expecting 8-12" but instead it was more like 14-20" over most of the metro (top 5 on record), plus the crazy snowfall rates in that main band and strong winds. NW trend giveth and taketh. Plus this was the rare case that the track didn't favor the coastal low taking over and becoming a true Nor'easter.

It probably was close to being their GHD, and certainly the most significant storm for them since January 1999.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

congrats on the storm! Highest total from WNY ended up being 25.5", most impressive part of this storm was this observation.

https://kamala.cod.edu/ny/latest.nous41.KBUF.html

FJSURzsWYAA9SCY.jpg.cbc3308d68e3585539c6c54ed93bd5e9.jpg

Couple videos from the storm.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, andyhb said:

From what I saw, they were expecting 8-12" but instead it was more like 14-20" over most of the metro (top 5 on record), plus the crazy snowfall rates in that main band and strong winds. NW trend giveth and taketh. Plus this was the rare case that the track didn't favor the coastal low taking over and becoming a true Nor'easter.

It probably was close to being their GHD, and certainly the most significant storm for them since January 1999.

This sums it up pretty well.  And the bold part is a really good point: 99/100 this transfers to the coast and we get our typical 4-8" whatever.  Blocky upstream pattern and northern stream diving in quickly acted in tandem to drag everything further west than normal.

GFS for the win.  Since it underwent that upgrade it's been rock solid.  Showed this inland scenario 5 days out when the consensus was coastal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Wow nice to hear from you, thought you left Toronto. Only the Feb 2015 storm here matches that for snowfall here in my lifetime (although depths in 2014 and 1999 were greater).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

The automated station in downtown Toronto recorded 12 cm/5” of snow in one hour from 6 to 7 am and 24 cm/9” in 3 hours from 5 to 8 am. I was up around 6:30 am and saw how hard and fast the snow was coming down.

YYZ recorded a storm total of 13.5”/34.4 cm. Though on the lower end compared to the rest of Toronto, it is not as bad as Feb 8, 2013 or Jan 2/3, 1999 where the measurements at Pearson were questionable and out of line with the rest of the GTA.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Wow nice to hear from you, thought you left Toronto. Only the Feb 2015 storm here matches that for snowfall here in my lifetime (although depths in 2014 and 1999 were greater).

No, still kicking around.  Boring winters since 2019-20 so not much to post about.  Our seasonal snowfall has been above average but no storminess.  Just pocket change...up until this one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

No, still kicking around.  Boring winters since 2019-20 so not much to post about.  Our seasonal snowfall has been above average but no storminess.  Just pocket change...up until this one.

Good to hear. Last Feb was rocking but definitely not like the relatively recent glory days.

9 minutes ago, Toronto4 said:

The automated station in downtown Toronto recorded 12 cm/5” of snow in one hour from 6 to 7 am and 24 cm/9” in 3 hours from 5 to 8 am. I was up around 6:30 am and saw how hard and fast the snow was coming down.

YYZ recorded a storm total of 13.5”/34.4 cm. Though on the lower end compared to the rest of Toronto, it is not as bad as Feb 8, 2013 or Jan 2/3, 1999 where the measurements at Pearson were questionable and out of line with the rest of the GTA.

I think that 13.5" may be the 2nd biggest storm at Pearson? :lol:  I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure...maybe 3.  But, obviously, in reality, we've seen a lot of bigger storms than that since 1937.

The nice thing is now with social media, everyone is out there with their rulers and posting totals.  The official obs matter much less than they used to imho.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

The Nov 2020 storm was good. Widespread 7-9". Biggest Nov storm since 2002 and biggest one day total since Nov 1950. 

14 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

I think that 13.5" may be the 2nd biggest storm at Pearson? :lol:  I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure...maybe 3.  But, obviously, in reality, we've seen a lot of bigger storms than that since 1937.

The nice thing is now with social media, everyone is out there with their rulers and posting totals.  The official obs matter much less than they used to imho.

I believe the biggest snowfall ever recorded at Pearson was 39.9 cm/16” back on Feb 25, 1965. 

And Environment Canada is relying more and more on volunteer observations these days to help fill the gap with the elimination of manual official weather observation stations in the last few years, such as Buttonville Airport in Markham, ON. Buttonville is currently an automated station, like downtown TO.

8 minutes ago, Toronto4 said:

I believe the biggest snowfall ever recorded at Pearson was 39.9 cm/16” back on Feb 25, 1965. 

And Environment Canada is relying more and more on volunteer observations these days to help fill the gap with the elimination of manual official weather observation stations in the last few years, such as Buttonville Airport in Markham, ON. Buttonville is currently an automated station, like downtown TO.

I believe it was Nov 1940. YYZ recorded 41.1cm/16.2". 

Edit: Jan 1966. YYZ recorded 43.9cm/17.3" 

• Like 1

• Chicago Storm changed the title to Jan 14-15th Hybrid Winter Storm