My kind of snowstorm.

Jealous...

FXUS61 KBUF 170550
AFDBUF

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Buffalo NY
1250 AM EST Mon Jan 17 2022

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TODAY/...
...MAJOR WINTER STORM TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY...

Regional radars showing an intense band of snow moving north across
Western NY, with confirmed snowfall rates of 3-4"/hr and
extremely large dendrite conglomorates. A few spotter reports
and webcam imagery show sleet mixing in close to Lake Erie, a
result of strong downsloping off the higher terrain of NW PA and
the Southern Tier. This mix with sleet won`t last too long, but
may briefly spread into other areas in Western and Central NY
overnight. We expect the heaviest snowfall rates of 2-4"/hr to
fall between now and 6am, then snowfall rates will back off to a
more manageable 1-2" per hour.

Something dtw will never witness.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

Puking snow right now in Toronto. Rates of 3-4"/hr. YYZ has reported visibility near zero for the past 3 hours. 

I measured 11" about 15 minutes ago. Many areas will end up close to 16-20" once all is said and done. 

Curious to see if it challenges the record from December 1944 (19") although YYZ observations are lol. It most certainly is the largest storm for them since the Blizzard of 1999.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Curious to see if it challenges the record from December 1944 (19") although YYZ observations are lol. It most certainly is the largest storm for them since the Blizzard of 1999.

As of 12pm YYZ reported 12.6" (32cm). Might add on another inch or two once it's all said and done so no, it'll fall short of that record cause YYZ is lol. 

But most places in Toronto saw between 15-20", some locally higher. I measured 17". 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dmc76 said:

No Toronto posters anymore. Chicago peeps scare them off? 

Oh, we're here, but we've been posting in the Upstate New York subforum for this storm...given the storm didn't really impact Michigan and Illinois. 

Has anyone heard from snowstormcanuck? I would have thought he'd have been right on top of this storm!

3 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

Oh, we're here, but we've been posting in the Upstate New York subforum for this storm...given the storm didn't really impact Michigan and Illinois. 

Has anyone heard from snowstormcanuck? I would have thought he'd have been right on top of this storm!

In the last 3-4 years. I haven’t been on much but I have noticed very few Michigan and Ontario posters. It has Turned into western lakes (Chicagoland) circle jerk.  And no. I have not seen him in a very long time. Last time I heard of him he lived in Edmonton. 

• Haha 1

In the last 3-4 years. I haven’t been on much but I have noticed very few Michigan and Ontario posters. It has Turned into western lakes (Chicagoland) circle jerk.  And no. I have not seen him in a very long time. Last time I heard of him he lived in Edmonton. 

you need a hug.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, dmc76 said:

Every picture, every tweet/FB post everyone says over 40 cm fell. Not Pearson. For some odd reason. Lol. To me personally from a far looks like 14-18” fell 

I went for a small drive. Roads are a mess but even eye balling you can tell its well over >14". Some localized areas in Toronto got 20-24". 

The downtown station recorded nearly 5" in one hour. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, blizzardof96 said:

Measured 18" at my place. Downsview recorded the same amount.

Everybody in the neighbourhood agreed that was the most snow they have ever experienced by far. Never seen anything like it before in Toronto.

Same for me. Many places around my area recorded between 17-21". Amazing storm, glad it pull through. 

It's too bad YYZ only recorded 13.5". What a joke. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WaryWarren said:

Who has a Bo-Alek beef on their AmWx bingo card? 

one guy gets 300" of snow every season, the other guy gets a rain/snow mix while just 10 miles from his lakeshore haven they can get a foot. Destined for a clash. Been coming for years.

61pzm2.jpg

Sorry, folks. Too tempting.

• Haha 1

The great irony of this thread is it was started by a Chicago guy. Storm dumped a foot of snow to the west of us and to the east. Didn't really see any crying about it in what has been a down year. And I would hope once it was clear this was not a chicago event no one trolled the thread posting goofy commentary about fake model runs et al. In fact, I followed it as I revel in other folks hitting the jackpot and even saw some congratulatory posting from some of the windy city group. Than, someone decides to fire a shot across the bow (no pun intended) at chi town posters and now thread has regressed into a "he said,she said" POS.  Sorta funny, actually. BTW...where's Toronto?

• Like 1

• Chicago Storm changed the title to Jan 14-15th Hybrid Winter Storm