Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 14-15th Hybrid Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

5 hours ago, Toronto4 said:

I remember Environment Canada was forecasting 15-20 cm (6-8”) of snow for the Toronto area. I believe a blizzard warning was issued but we only got around 6 cm.

The upcoming storm is a massive head scratcher for Toronto forecasters. Anthony Farnell just tweeted that Toronto could see anywhere between 5 to 35 cm (2 to 14”). It’s going to be a nail biter and hopefully we’ll know better once the northern stream piece is sampled.

I recommend checking out the Upstate NY sub-forum - they are covering this storm in depth as it looks to impact western New York and Ontario more than the midwest.

• Like 1

I think we may be in for a surprise. Mid 30s on ground in St. Louis and current sounding is suggestive of snow, which would imply the entire event is snow, a much colder scenario than modeled. QPF for short range guidance HRRR and RAP is around 0.5. Assuming sub 10:1 rates, the 3-5'' call seems like it would be accurate with amounts on the higher end of the range. I hope I'm interpreting this right. 

image.png.4e5c0a9689bc19407522bd46c01566be.png

image.thumb.png.6f39b4b82d86ddf7dadfd4f512a993c2.png

11 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

I recommend checking out the Upstate NY sub-forum - they are covering this storm in depth as it looks to impact western New York and Ontario more than the midwest.

Fingers crossed for favourable model trends for tonight’s model runs. Should be a fascinating storm to follow. Could be one of Toronto’s biggest storms in quite a while.

5 hours ago, Brian D said:

Starting to see a push from the north. 2 bands going right now. One over me, and another just north. Should see the second over me soon. Duluth/Superior should see stronger action later this afternoon.

Just snow showers here now with snow reports of 5-7" around town. The band is hitting the head of lake now on a NE trajectory. They should see their totals jump now, too. Next round comes mid next week with another clipper. :) 

17 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

This has to be the lamest snow "event" I experienced in a long time. Pixie dust. Wet a** pixie dust. Not sticking. Temps right at 32. Snow has barely made it east of me and you can tell it's fighting dry ne flow. I will be shocked if we get a inch. Make winter storms great again. This sucks. Lol

I'd give this rant a C- at best. 

You can learn a thing or two from beavis. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Has been coming down decently in the north side of Chicago, but slowed for the moment in Irving Park.

It looks on the radar like Metro Detroit is getting some lake bands? Fun to see the NE winds putting lake effect there and up near Green Bay

• Chicago Storm changed the title to Jan 14-15th Hybrid Winter Storm