Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 14-15th Hybrid Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

8 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

That's awesome. I will have to check that film out then. 

This storm was powerful Nor'easter. It's not talked about enough but this storm is definitely a top 10. Ironically a few months later the March 1993 storm happened but was a bit too far east for us. I don't know where I can find a radar reanalysis of this storm but would be pretty cool to see. 

Yes, the March 1993 was just that bot too far east for us. Ottawa saw 40 cm, and I think we saw about 5 cm?

52 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The model average precip for you is 0.25".

New Euro has us at 0.18", last few HRRR runs a bit over 0.15", same with the 3km NAM.  The trend on all of the models has been to decrease over the past 12hrs, so if the trend continues under 0.15" is possible.  0.5 call was probably lol worthy low, but seeing amounts lower in the final 12hrs YET AGAIN makes for a decidedly pissy forecaster lol.

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

Yes, the March 1993 was just that bot too far east for us. Ottawa saw 40 cm, and I think we saw about 5 cm?

I remember Environment Canada was forecasting 15-20 cm (6-8”) of snow for the Toronto area. I believe a blizzard warning was issued but we only got around 6 cm.

The upcoming storm is a massive head scratcher for Toronto forecasters. Anthony Farnell just tweeted that Toronto could see anywhere between 5 to 35 cm (2 to 14”). It’s going to be a nail biter and hopefully we’ll know better once the northern stream piece is sampled.

1 hour ago, Toronto4 said:

I remember Environment Canada was forecasting 15-20 cm (6-8”) of snow for the Toronto area. I believe a blizzard warning was issued but we only got around 6 cm.

The upcoming storm is a massive head scratcher for Toronto forecasters. Anthony Farnell just tweeted that Toronto could see anywhere between 5 to 35 cm (2 to 14”). It’s going to be a nail biter and hopefully we’ll know better once the northern stream piece is sampled.

I hope we at least get 4-6" (10-15 cm). I'm in Scarborough, bordering Markham, so I might have a better chance. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Been snowing very lightly over an hour now, so far a T. 100% wet on paved areas, barely noticable on existing snow cover/exposed grassy areas.  HRRR shows most precip accumulates after 4pm or so and through the evening.

The current radar loop shows the snow withering away as it crosses the river.  I hope you can get a few inches out of this.

3 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

1" measured at Westby, WI.

Cassville in SW Grant County getting a decent thumping over the last few hours per their live webcam.

thanks for this. It maybe all I get snow wise through the rest of the month.

LSX AFD mentioned they expect a changeover around 02-04z [8-10pm] in St. Louis, which seems a few hours earlier than most guidance. They're basing it on some AMDAR soundings out of lambert that showed a weak warm layer extending to 850mb [<1C], which they feel will be rapidly washed away as heavy precip pulls cold air down. They're sticking with 3-5'' call, which is very bullish to me. I'm hoping they're right, we'll see how it plays out

12 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

And it’s a holiday for me Monday. If the bills win tomorrow and we get this storm! I haven’t seen a purely synoptic system put this much qpf in my backyard in a long time. 

441648FE-94D4-45FE-BD9D-6E2B0C32B5DC.png

now I am in a bad mood.:lol: a snowstorm and a winning football team.

• Chicago Storm changed the title to Jan 14-15th Hybrid Winter Storm