Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

3 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Sir what do you feel like occurs up into SVA with that ULL? I know Disc alluded to the fact late last night he was concerned about the placement and setup but as of very late last night thermals still looked "ok" up this way. 

Roanoke looks safe from zr. Prob most snow to sleet to snow.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

I think it's time people from Greenville, SC  - Charlotte - Concord - Burlington start prepping for a high impact system (tree damage/extended power outages/etc). I know the snow is what people want, but there will massive power outages in that corridor. Still not sure how far east that will extend. The NAM seems to peak RDU's ZR around .4 to .5 which is enough for damage but not like .75-1.00 ... I hope I'm wrong and sleet saves the day.

Yep, I'm headed out to Lowes shorty to stock up supplies. My house is surrounded by trees so I'm expecting lots of downed limbs and a few trees to fall. We lost power during the windstorm last week for nearly 1/2 day so I'm betting we lose it for longer this time.

2 minutes ago, Amos83 said:

Yep, I'm headed out to Lowes shorty to stock up supplies. My house is surrounded by trees so I'm expecting lots of downed limbs and a few trees to fall. We lost power during the windstorm last week for nearly 1/2 day so I'm betting we lose it for longer this time.

Smart. Mooresville might be far enough north for sleet to save the day and save you from zr.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

The light, lavender-ish band on that map (3"-6" Snow/Sleet) could stand to come south to where it would meet the top of the "M" in my opinion, but other than that it looks pretty damn solid.

I always have to remember that most of this board doesn't live in the Frozone like me.  Lyman is in the Narnia of SE winterland (NW SC). We tend to benefit more than a lot of people with these storms. This helps me understand the overwhelming number of frustrated posts for literally every winter storm thread. I get it - it makes sense.  

the middle of the "M" would be nice. The bottom of the "M" would be awesome!

I am only a few minutes from Uptown Charlotte and absolutely surrounded by trees--my neighborhood has huge oaks surrounding every house with atleast 20+ trees within falling distance of my house. Powerlines run directly behind houses near trees, I am expecting a devastating ice storm with at the very least lost power for a few days.

About to book a cabin in the high country near Boone and atleast enjoy some good snow.

SREF KCLT.PNG

20 minutes ago, Tony Sisk said:

the middle of the "M" would be nice. The bottom of the "M" would be awesome!

Yeah - there's just no denying that WAA, especially as we get closer. Lyman is tucked strangely between the lee and where the snow line typically transitions. I'll still get the ice but for some reason just not quite as much as my surrounding areas. 

We're talking 1 mile of separation between mostly snow and mostly ice in most cases.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Man this snow is going to come fast and heavy. Looks like Greenville & Asheville get 4-8" in the matter of 6 hours. Big winners look to be the Nashville metro though, 12-18" is a solid forecast to be honest at this point which is insane to even think about

12-18 for Nashville? That sounds really high. Where are you getting that from? 

I think 4-8 inches seems much more reasonable and it’s a bit higher than what is currently progged there by the NWS. 

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah - there's just no denying that WAA, especially as we get closer. Lyman is tucked strangely between the lee and where the snow line typically transitions. I'll still get the ice but for some reason just not quite as much as my surrounding areas. 

We're talking 1 mile of separation between mostly snow and mostly ice in most cases.

Boy that is the true for sure! 

she's a beaut clark!
1995205468_ScreenShot2022-01-14at8_55_38AM.png.8e9fedbfc32d2d2449802d333c9dc8ea.png

@burrel2

Is it beaut because of the location / track of the LP?
I know most here focus on NC, which I get… seems N GA (think Cherokee / Pickens County) gets a little left out, but I love learning about this stuff - we just have not had a lot of things to track recently for me to learn from.
If I understand correctly, if the LP is further south, it is better for N GA, right?
It basically matters where the moisture is in relation to the LP, right?

. Pro
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jrips27 said:

12-18 for Nashville? That sounds really high. Where are you getting that from? 

I think 4-8 inches seems much more reasonable and it’s a bit higher than what is currently progged there by the NWS. 

Yes and the 850 low on the RGEM was just about 40 miles south of the 6z position while over Georgia.

Within the model margin of error? Probably.

But I've also seen life (and death) by paper cut where 4 straight 20-40 miles shifts suddenly turned into a game-changing trend for some folks.

Worth watching when in places like my old stomping grounds, 10 miles can make all the difference with the sensible weather.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

GFS remains bullish for western NC. It hasn’t blinked yet.

That's the model I would rely on at this point. It actually increased totals with the weak low and stronger high. NAM is a meso model and amps things up like crazy all the time. Think it's time for it to go the way of the DGEX at this point. Maybe some machine learning model to replace it. sn10_acc.us_ma.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, snowmaker13 said:

That's the model I would rely on at this point. It actually increased totals with the weak low and stronger high. NAM is a meso model and amps things up like crazy all the time. Think it's time for it to go the way of the DEGX at this point. Maybe some machine learning model to replace it. sn10_acc.us_ma.png

Look at the gradient there around CLT… tell me that’s not classic, Uptown 2-3” but step 30 miles N into Iredell you’ve got 6-8” 

The crazy part to me is the surface looks worlds better at face value but if you go to 500 the ULL presentation hasn't really changed any and in all reality the GFS looks to have suffered some type of convective feedback related issue, as it focuses placing the "L" over that line of storms in the Atlantic. Regardless tho to @BooneWX point its another beat down for WNC into SVA and its been persistent for runs on end. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buckeyefan1 said:

I'm not sure about how much I'd cut the totals with temps in the 20's for the duration.

Always cut totals. If temps are in 20’s there will be more sleet. If temps are near freezing it will not accumulate fast. The self-limiting nature of freezing rain is not modeled well and is always too high on every model