Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

5 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Where do you think the low will track?

EPS mean track looks like a good bet. The low is most likely going to track inland over NC It’s just not going to plow through the wedge to get there like the gfs wants to do.  Instead you’re going to see the low transfer/propagate from southwest Alabama to just off the coast around Charleston,sc. then ride the coastline up in to NC coastal plain. IMO

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

It’s funny how so many people focus on micro analyzing the gfs when we know it’s the worst with predicting pressure gradients and low pressure tracks around a wedge. I can guarantee you its on an island with its low pressure track/evolution because its wrong. Analyzing thermals from it is a waste of time as a result. 

12z ukmet crude panels looks great again and line up with other guidance. Yay! 

Afreakingmen

Checking for the first time this winter. Always great to have something to track and see so many familiar (and incredibly insightful) names.

Now I'm just kicking myself for moving just south and east of South Park in CLT vs up towards my in-laws on the NW side of Lake Norman. This is a classic storm where they'll probably get double the snow, just 23 miles away!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

This was almost too easy.  A map we have seen dozens of times.  Are you sure you just didn't change the dates Jeremy?  :P

Looks legit.  I think most here would take those outcomes.

Ahahah yeah for sure. Wish we could push the big totals farther east but I will settle for glazed tree shots I guess LOL. (I am in the bargaining phase of the grief cycle here).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lookout said:

A word about the icon for north ga folks, looking at full soundings there isn't much difference between the 06z and 12z run with respect to soundings and the threat of a front end hit of snow.. I'm a bit baffled to be honest why it cut totals.  Surface through the mid levels look  cold. Might be foolish to worry about such minor details at this range but can't help myself. 

12z Canadian is also lovely.

at this point I am just happy to still see a good winter storm. even if you cut the totals in half thats a decent storm in my book.  the huge totals rarely end up verifying.  also, usually with this type of storm there is a period of change over or mix to sleet/freezing rain, whether the models show it or not.  

all in all it looks like a lot of us are going to have a nice winter storm this weekend.  I remember when the CADs always seemed to end up stronger than the models were showing.  this hasn't seemed to have been happening a lot the last several years so it would be nice to have a CAD roar in for a change lol

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, NEGa said:

at this point I am just happy to still see a good winter storm. even if you cut the totals in half thats a decent storm in my book.  the huge totals rarely end up verifying.  also, usually with this type of storm there is a period of change over or mix to sleet/freezing rain, whether the models show it or not.  

all in all it looks like a lot of us are going to have a nice winter storm this weekend.  I remember when the CADs always seemed to end up stronger than the models were showing.  this hasn't seemed to have been happening a lot the last several years so it would be nice to have a CAD roar in for a change lol

Yeah definitely been some weak ones over the last few years. I wonder if the dynamics in this setup will help with that by pumping up that east wind we need to filter in the dry air?