Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

20 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

RGEM is similar to the NAM, tons of mixing even in WNC. Huge warm nose. 

prateptype.us_ma.png

That’s not even possible to look like that on the surface there’s no possible way it’s Just NW of Charleston and Flipping Foothills are getting sleet 250-300 Miles on NW side that’s not a warm nose…. It’s just wrong science wise. You can tell it’s wrong, the 540 line is way up at DC and it’s showing Snow beneath it…. Sleet/ICE can mix in in what’s shown Pink  here but it wouldn’t be all Sleet in Purple that line as I said Monroe- Raleigh would be Primarily SN off that track 

• Like 2

Just now, PantherJustin said:

That’s not even possible to look like that on the surface there’s no possible way it’s Just NW of Charleston and Flipping Foothills are getting sleet 250-300 Miles on NW side that’s not a warm nose…. It’s just wrong science wise

Somewhat concerning because RGEM is used for CAD events, similar to Nam. Still far out in meso land so hopefully it will correct 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

fwiw, the icon seems to be following the trend this morning :D 

1642302000-r7JaDATUBGI.png

The 06z run had given my location 5 to 7 inches on the front end . This run isn't quite as high which is a bit odd given what I feel like is improvements. Might make up for it on the back end though. Regardess, Hard not to like the trends if you are looking for something other than cold rain..especially in ga

• Like 10

43 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Thanks HKY but our problem in the RDU area is not helped much by the south trend as this low just will not track far enough east once it turns up the coast no matter how far south it trends.  I don't see that changing or even being influenced to change much based on these new "south" trends

This is true. For RDU to stay all frozen we need the track to be over the sounds/outer banks as opposed to over greenville/somwhere near there. The models seem pretty intent on driving it inland over eastern NC which sucks for us. The only hope is they are overdoing it a bit. That said, it's not really a huge deal if the precip is mostly over by the time the SLP/dryslot move over. The ICON drops close to 1 inch of precip by 7pm Sun when we dip above freezing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

At 51 our low pressure is in southern Arkansas, about the same spot as 6Z

Not sure I like it so far at 54. More of a neutral type tilt with shortwave but again confluence is a little better in New England so there's that. Need GFS to trend more southeast and I don't think it wants to do that. This is all strictly based off 500 map

I noticed something in the NAM suite that I thought was very promising for our general low evolution, and it's indicative of why I like to wait for the convection allowing models before I really make broad remarks on the low pressure track and how it transfers to the coast. 

The low transfer is going to occur along the ribbon of low level vorticity that forms off the coast along the wedge front. It's really easy to see this on the 3km NAM at hour 60:

image.png.f9009b8ba2beb9f3eb12c4bd9391766f.png

So, we have transfer area. Transfer portal if you will. No other model really has this depicted well. 6z GFS at 66:

image.png.ac274170f9e81d16c15ca6dc6187c153.png

12Z NAM (not hi res) which is a tough better: 

image.png.d37f9032582ea55f94dd5940aaacd706.png

Seems like a pretty small detail but it's important because if you get a sharp boundary you'll get convection/storms to form along it. Thunderstorms will take that low level vorticity and stretch it, inducing cyclogenesis and stretching that air column. How important is this feature? Elevated convection, and models not handling the ramifications well of that convection well, is how we ended up with the debacle that was Jan 2000 (I'm saying that as an example, in the year of our lord 2022 that's not happening again please dont twist my words.) Well, the 3KM NAM has some of that action at hour 60.

image.png.d034c7d3b1eb6109fcc3b7a93598f2b5.png

My entire point here is that I still think the models aren't handling the cyclogenesis along the coast well and we're still leagues away from figuring out how the transfer will work. I think there's still room for some corrections further off the coast. Or maybe this is just weenie wishcasting. There's too much football on on Sunday for my power to go out so I'm going to manifest better solutions by making long posts on weather forums. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

I noticed something in the NAM suite that I thought was very promising for our general low evolution, and it's indicative of why I like to wait for the convection allowing models before I really make broad remarks on the low pressure track and how it transfers to the coast. 

The low transfer is going to occur along the ribbon of low level vorticity that forms off the coast along the wedge front. It's really easy to see this on the 3km NAM at hour 60:

image.png.f9009b8ba2beb9f3eb12c4bd9391766f.png

So, we have transfer area. Transfer portal if you will. No other model really has this depicted well. 6z GFS at 66:

image.png.ac274170f9e81d16c15ca6dc6187c153.png

12Z NAM (not hi res) which is a tough better: 

image.png.d37f9032582ea55f94dd5940aaacd706.png

Seems like a pretty small detail but it's important because if you get a sharp boundary you'll get convection/storms to form along it. Thunderstorms will take that low level vorticity and stretch it, inducing cyclogenesis and stretching that air column. How important is this feature? Elevated convection, and models not handling the ramifications well of that convection well, is how we ended up with the debacle that was Jan 2000 (I'm saying that as an example, in the year of our lord 2022 that's not happening again please dont twist my words.) Well, the 3KM NAM has some of that action at hour 60.

image.png.d034c7d3b1eb6109fcc3b7a93598f2b5.png

My entire point here is that I still think the models aren't handling the cyclogenesis along the coast well and we're still leagues away from figuring out how the transfer will work. I think there's still room for some corrections further off the coast. Or maybe this is just weenie wishcasting. There's too much football on on Sunday for my power to go out so I'm going to manifest better solutions by making long posts on weather forums. 

Posts like these are why this board is so great. 

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, Lookout said:

The stubbornness  of the gfs vs literally every other model is pretty wild. Take dewpoints for example, gfs is upwards of 20 degrees warmer over sc sat evening vs everything else. 

Yes, but it still trended farther south with the surface low, baby steps.

• Like 3