SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

10 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

1642377600-szWv4c1Zvsg.png

1642377600-pkCbGY0oWD0.png1642377600-byodBLMa0So.png

As the euro has steadily forecasted extreme upstate and extreme ne ga are in for a major here. Sw Nc will get pummeled for sure. Still time for adjustments and they will impact alot of folks good and bad. The latest trend is important imo of a south jog of the primary and track. Looking forward to today's changes!

• Like 5

Euro in my opinion continues to struggle with low pressure placement, as the system becomes occluded and stacked, it is having a hard time depicting where to ultimately place the “L” I think this gets smoothed out within the next 24 hours and would expect to see it jump southeast some more in line with other guidance. Time will tell but that’s what my gut is telling me. There’s a lot going on in the atmosphere between the confluence to our north and the energy diving down forcing the low to feel it and get tugged back to the west/northwest. I think by tomorrow mornings 6z runs we should def have a pretty clear understanding as to what is going to happen.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Beach Snow said:

What are we looking for to keep the low from shooting straight north from exiting the SC coast and a move toward more of a ENE movement? Is that even a possibility given the current state of the atmosphere?

If you look at the 500 map on any website you desire, you will want to look at two pieces really. The energy that’s diving out of MN/Dakotas as the main piece of energy is around the gulf coast (models seem to be pretty set on this now) and then the confluence up above New England. The energy over New England basically squashes the heights and allows the system to be more south rather than turning due north and northwestward. Once that energy dives it’s a matter of timing. You have the euro that’s super aggressive with it and then you have some of the other solutions namely the GEFS that thinks it happens later and also allows the storm to take more of an east/northeasterly direction because of factors listed above

The other factors is the NAO domain. Had that been a little further to the west than it is the storm would never have a chance to take a storm track like you’re seeing on some of these model runs. Now that makes some happy and others not so much. I can tell you WNC/SVA guys love this look and it’s classic major onslaught of heavy snow, as the flow comes out of the south southeast and piles up copious amounts of moisture along the blue ridge. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

If you look at the 500 map on any website you desire, you will want to look at two pieces really. The energy that’s diving out of MN/Dakotas as the main piece of energy is around the gulf coast (models seem to be pretty set on this now) and then the confluence up above New England. The energy over New England basically squashes the heights and allows the system to be more south rather than turning due north and northwestward. Once that energy dives it’s a matter of timing. You have the euro that’s super aggressive with it and then you have some of the other solutions namely the GEFS that thinks it happens later and also allows the storm to take more of an east/northeasterly direction because of factors listed above

The other factors is the NAO domain. Had that been a little further to the west than it is the storm would never have a chance to take a storm track like you’re seeing on some of these model runs. Now that makes some happy and others not so much. I can tell you WNC/SVA guys love this look and it’s classic major onslaught of heavy snow, as the flow comes out of the south southeast and piles up copious amounts of moisture along the blue ridge. 

Thanks for the insight

5 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

It still looks like a major winter storm for our area, unless you are just looking for only snow....

Agreed. Around here i'm guessing we'll see a little front end snow that annoyingly changes to sleet earlier than we would want, ultimately changing to freezing rain for much longer than we'd like, followed by rain at the end that nobody likes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wake4est said:

Agreed. Around here i'm guessing we'll see a little front end snow that annoyingly changes to sleet earlier than we would want, ultimately changing to freezing rain for much longer than we'd like, followed by rain at the end that nobody likes.

That is the problem is we go over to 38F and rain ultimately. Also the warm nose almost always overperforms compared to the models so it will mostly be sleet/ZR then rain.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, eyewall said:

That is the problem is we go over to 38F and rain ultimately. Also the warm nose almost always overperforms compared to the models so it will mostly be sleet/ZR then rain.

True. It is getting harder to see snow in Central NC. I know people hear it a lot on here but Global Warming has to be playing a part. It seems like most of NC is where SC used to be for these storms. That is my 2 cents at least. Congratulations to those who cash out. Enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.jpeg.ca0f70f0ff65120b2a9f8c41d81b515e.jpeg
12z RAOBS coming in with higher heights than 00z GFS across the W US, though less near the shortwave entering WA/OR compared to the downstream ridge. Also note lower ON heights. To me this suggests we might see today's guidance slow the storm down a bit and possibly wobble SE.
Twitter · 19 mins ago

• Like 2

Rise and shine, storm trackers! Two of our shortwaves of interest are now onshore, including the primary system which is making landfall in WA/OR this morning. 12z RAOBs should have the northern wave well-sampled, and should have a solid first look at the second wave.
Twitter · 42 mins ago
Rise and shine, storm trackers! Two of our shortwaves of interest are now onshore, including the primary system which is making landfall in WA/OR this morning. 12z RAOBs should have the northern wave well-sampled, and should have a solid first look at the second wave.
Twitter · 42 mins ago

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:
image.jpeg.ca0f70f0ff65120b2a9f8c41d81b515e.jpeg
12z RAOBS coming in with higher heights than 00z GFS across the W US, though less near the shortwave entering WA/OR compared to the downstream ridge. Also note lower ON heights. To me this suggests we might see today's guidance slow the storm down a bit and possibly wobble SE.
Twitter · 19 mins ago

Eew. Don't want slower.

• Haha 1