Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

14 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

I thought the most consequential thing that the NAM with the "new data" showed was a wholesale shift of our shortwave 50 miles to the east as early as 36 hours into the run. I like using the NAM as an appetizer model for a lot of reasons and one is that I think it can tip the hand of the rest of the models on what the trend de jour of the suite is going to be. I think we're cooking with propane if more models show this shift east with our energy.

I will say, one thing i don't use the regular NAM for is precipitation depiction. I've always thought it has looked a bit 'off' with its precipitation depiction, dry areas where I'd expect more precip, etc. I think it's fun to look at but I don't hang my hat on it- I lean on the 3km a lot more for that in my internal calculus.

Every little shift to the east is a good thing. Thanks for the good insight per usual.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sandstorm94 said:

That low the last 3 frames of the run went due northeast (white line), hopefully it trends further east instead of this solutiond37d61fc782f4ee804997a7dec241060.jpg

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

The slp doesn't really move in a str8 line. It tends to jump along thermal boundaries/,fronts. I wouldmt focus too much on that.

1 minute ago, lj0109 said:

Agree with this 100%. Precipitation usually over performs compared to the regular NAM's output.

It's not so much a dry bias as much as is it... not quite sure how to explain. A precip shield looking like a circle when it should look like an oval. Phantom frontogenesis bands that come and go. I don't have a scientific word other than weird. Things like that when everything else will look fine. When i first became an enthusiast the NAM was known for throwing out ridiculous qpf and its not that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beach Snow said:

Ryan Maue tweeting don’t look at NAM and look at RGEM. Says upgraded and better. RGEM is certainly more north of NAM but also was 18z last run

My experience has been the RGEM seems to do well farther north but has a pretty lousy track record figuring out p-type for winter storms in our region. That said I doubt we’ve had a winter storm to track here since it upgraded so who knows.

Whoa, the ICON pulls the 500z ULL through the Carolinas... breath of fresh air after these models wanted to bring it up the spine of the apps.

The 00z ICON, I should mention, is warmer on what looks like every level. edit it's a little warmer but not on "every level" didn't look everywhere i'm multitasking between model watching and dishes

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

Whoa, the ICON pulls the 500z ULL through the Carolinas... breath of fresh air after these models wanted to bring it up the spine of the apps.

The 00z ICON, I should mention, is warmer on what looks like every level.

Yes certainly warmer but hopefully that’s just noise…great trend on the LP 

• Thanks 1

The 00z ICON, I should mention, is warmer on what looks like every level. edit it's a little warmer but not on "every level" didn't look everywhere i'm multitasking between model watching and dishes
Yes certainly warmer but hopefully that’s just noise…great trend on the LP 
I'm on Weatherbell and looping it between the 18z and 0z runs...

0z was colder

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

I think it is terrible how many Mets have to take second jobs just to make ends meet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
  • Sad 1