Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

30 minutes ago, Flum said:

I really hope this thing can trend just a bit further south so Atlanta can see a real snowfall. I haven’t had occasion to even come on here in a couple years. 

Really pulling for you guys down there and over towards Athens as well. I know I complain sometimes when a storm busts up here in the mountains cause it's been a rough couple years as far as big storms go, but I don't even know what I'd do in a complete snow drought like Atlanta is in. I think I saw the other day that at the airport they are closing in on their longest snowless streak on record.

• Like 2

My thoughts on the overall system where we stand right now. Really, the models have remained relatively in agreement over the past few days with some changes in the track, ie. bringing closer to the coast. This really impacted the eastern Carolinas, but this is really setting up to be just a normal NC/SC winter storm with snow north of I-85 and all kinds of precip south of I-85.  I really think that the RDU and Fayetteville areas are not totally out of the woods yet, and I wouldn't be shocked for the models to push the parent low a little further east. What really has me concerned is the warm nose in the western areas north of I-85. I think this is going to keep totals lower unless the low does push a little further west. So far it has been a fun system to track, and I look forward to seeing any trends in the 0z guidance!

What I posted on Facebook... The models continue to show a major storm system impacting the Carolinas this weekend, so that means our winter weather threat continues to increase.
Throughout the day, models remained in good agreement overall with the evolution of our system with just minor changes with the track. As always, these minor changes to impact the final forecast, but overall, the models have remained relatively consistent with this forecast. One of the changes was the strength and speed of the system. It appears the system is going to be a little stronger than originally thought, and it appears the system will move a little slower than thought. The track has also shifted a little further west towards the Carolina coast. I now expect the system to ride along the coastline, which pushes the rain/snow line a little further west.
It still remains too early to determine which precipitation types will fall where. Right now, this has the look and feel of a very typical winter storm coming from the Gulf of Mexico. Western NC has the best chance for snow for the majority of the event, with some sleet possible outside the highest elevations. Central NC would be a battle zone with all kinds of weather from snow, sleet, freezing rain, and rain. Eastern NC would have mainly rain as the low moves through, but some snow and sleet is possible before the warm air moves in.
That is why I have a MAJOR IMPACT across western NC. This area has the best chance to see the greatest impacts in terms of wintry weather from this system. The I-85 area stretching through central NC is the battle zone, so there is a broad area of significant and elevated risk. These areas will probably be narrowed as we get closer to the system and get a better idea of the track. Eastern NC may see limited impacts, especially at the onset of the system and possibly on the backside of the system.
The confidence in the impacts is 40% due to the uncertainty in the track of the system, which leads to uncertainty in the precipitation types. This map may change based on additional data.
I was hoping to be able to post a first accumulation map Thursday evening, but it depends on the models continuing to come into better agreement. With the snow/sleet/ice/rain line uncertainty, the accumulation map confidence remains too low to post.

1122022_StormTrack.png

1122022_Impacts.png

• Like 12

Recon sampling the shortwave right now.

AF305 Unassigned Mission
Type: Unknown  |  Status: En Route

As of 02:02 UTC Jan 13, 2022:

Aircraft Position: 38.83°N 125.02°W
Bearing: 90° at 374 kt
Altitude: 9700 gpm
Peak 10-second Wind: 79 kt at 204°
Extrapolated Sea-level Pressure: N/A

Aircraft Data Time Series (click to enlarge):recon_AF305-05WSE-IOP03_timeseries.png Raw data file
Full Mission In-Storm (click to enlarge):recon_AF305-05WSE-IOP03.png
  • Like 1

Recon sampling the shortwave right now.
AF305 Unassigned Mission
Type: Unknown  |  Status: En Route

As of 02:02 UTC Jan 13, 2022:
Aircraft Position: 38.83°N 125.02°W
Bearing: 90° at 374 kt
Altitude: 9700 gpm
Peak 10-second Wind: 79 kt at 204°
Extrapolated Sea-level Pressure: N/A
Aircraft Data Time Series (click to enlarge):recon_AF305-05WSE-IOP03_timeseries.png Raw data file Full Mission In-Storm (click to enlarge):recon_AF305-05WSE-IOP03.png
The N64 Mario Kart Rainbow Road of weather...

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

• Haha 5

500 maps are behind by a little but surface at 54 has very little change involved. MAYBE a tick east southeast with the low 
I'm looking at the 500mb for the confluence over Maine, which at 57 shows it is pushing over the NE just a tick more than 18z... Which helps

2 minutes ago, Sandstorm94 said:

I'm looking at the 500mb for the confluence over Maine, which at 57 shows it is pushing over the NE just a tick more than 18z... Which helps

im on TT so you are ahead of me im only out to 42 but out to 63 on 850 map