• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I have been on the form, but we do finally have a chance of a winter storm, especially across western and central NC.

Its been amazing how consistent overall the models, and especially the ensembles, have been over the past few days. While the system has definitely trended a further west than originally thought, it still appears most areas along and north of 85 stand a good chance of wintry weather from this system.

The 06z GEFS and 12z GEFS are similar in the progression of the system, and that leads to increasing confidence in the forecast. Will be interesting to see what happens over the next 24-36 hours with the trends, but as of right now, 85 and north looks pretty good. RDU and points south are very big question marks without a track further south.

gfs-ens_z500_vort_namer_17.png

gfs-ens_z500_vort_namer_18.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, buckeyefan1 said:

1642388400-xIyIvgwRrnY.png

id take 8 inches and .30 of freezing rain...especially over that garbage the gfs is showing lol. Althougb looking at 925 mb temps, euro might be underestimating sleet amounts some. At least for now the nw trend has stopped.

Canadian is pretty wild with as much sleet its showing. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lookout said:

id take 8 inches and .30 of freezing rain...especially over that garbage the gfs is showing lol. Althougb looking at 925 mb temps, euro might be underestimating sleet amounts some. At least for now the nw trend has stopped.

I'm not looking at the column until I can see the whites of its eyes   :lol:   Everyone complains about sleet, but to me that just keeps the snow around longer and gives perfect sledding conditions :wub: 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Lookout said:

I am still suspect of your area seeing any notable snow.  I only recall one instance of a deeper low of this nature producing snows on the backside that far S into GA and that was 1/21/87.  Typically the TROWAL area is up in TN or if the low is near SAV or off the coast its farther east.  Its interesting though seeing the Euro consistently show the snow down into AHN and NRN ATL

1 minute ago, buckeyefan1 said:

I'm not looking at the column until I can see the whites of its eyes   :lol:   Everyone complains about sleet, but to me that just keeps the snow around longer and gives perfect sledding conditions :wub: 

Sledding won't be a problem for those that get an inch of ice. You can build a luge course.

• Like 1

I thought that this run of the Euro had two conflicting items going for it. It seemed that ahead of the storm, 500mb heights were lower and overall the atmosphere was colder. However, the shortwave itself came in a touch stronger and allowed it to curl inland a little faster. It looked like these two tweaks cancelled each other out. I'm pretty neutral on what I just saw.

Setup reminds me quite a bit of dec 2002. Main difference is there is a stronger impulse aloft and it is cutoff. This would likely result in some backlash snow over the interior and a warm up over the coastal plain. In contrast, dec 2002 ended as 32 and freezing rain/rain for most people. 

• Like 1

Just now, buckeyefan1 said:

Haha. Being a wedge weenie its an addiction :D but Absolutely. ...sleet sure  beats freezing rain or rain any day. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I am still suspect of your area seeing any notable snow.  I only recall one instance of a deeper low of this nature producing snows on the backside that far S into GA and that was 1/21/87.  Typically the TROWAL area is up in TN or if the low is near SAV or off the coast its farther east.  Its interesting though seeing the Euro consistently show the snow down into AHN and NRN ATL

Euro shows front end snow for lookouts area with the initial waa push.   Doesn’t seem that far fetched and it played out very similar with the Feb 2014 event.  Front end waa thumps before changeover have historically/typically over performed imby more often than not. Still too early to know the battle lines now though. 

2 hours ago, HKY_WX said:

Hilarious how these snow maps line up with climo and history. I can't tell you how many times Hickory got a 10 inch storm (aka 8 inches of snow and 2 inches of sleet) while the the western foothills and anyone above say 2000 ft got the 12-18 inches of mostly snow. 

Agree it looks like the 6-8'' snow/sleet with a raging sleet storm at some point with freezing rain to end it in my area.Usually west of I 85 and north of HWY 73 around here locally is the dividing line,seen it many times.

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

Verbatim the Euro is a MAJOR winter storm for most on this sub forum including the triangle even though some areas go to plain rain. This won’t be a pure snow event for very many people but this could be a serious winter storm and that shouldn’t be understated. Euro kept the BL temps below freezing and had slightly cooler mid levels for piedmont areas than 6Z and 0Z. I think the WAA was slightly muted with a slightly less amped system. HP and overall setup didn’t change much 

• Like 2