Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

14 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh90_trend.thumb.gif.7cc3767a44277a68f3fa526e234e8811.gif

Fantastic run. First time in 36 hours the GFS didn't throw our energy further west. Not really paying attention to the surface reflection, it'll change, but if this is the end of the trend then we've seen the bottom and we're on the mend.

Really? The final output looked a lot worse for snow here. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PantherJustin said:
13 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

1642410000-WEin5bOVMi8.png

1642410000-scY3AT3I93k.png

1642410000-AKIlyxmc9ew.png! 4” of SN / 4” of IP/ 1/4” FRZN just north of CLT 

Hilarious how these snow maps line up with climo and history. I can't tell you how many times Hickory got a 10 inch storm (aka 8 inches of snow and 2 inches of sleet) while the the western foothills and anyone above say 2000 ft got the 12-18 inches of mostly snow. 

• Like 2

Latest from met Greg Fishel.

SNOW THREAT APPEARS TO BE DECREASING, WITH ICE THE GROWING CONCERN

Seeing as how there has never been a perfect model forecast 5-6 days out, that means that whatever those models are showing 5-6 days out will be wrong. The only question is by how much? This is the kind of reasoning all the clickbaiters out there are unfamiliar with. 

So, there is growing evidence that our upcoming storm will take an inland path across eastern North Carolina. That is the kiss of death for snow lovers in the Triangle area. Storms move along boundaries between warm and cold air. The ideal snow setup is to be far enough away from the boundary to stay cold, but close enough to get precipitation. It’s analogous to putting your finger close enough to the burner to feel the heat, but not close enough to get scalded. An inland track would mean a brief period of snow at the start, followed by several hours of freezing rain, and then several hours of rain. Areas well east of Raleigh could see temperatures rise into the 50s and even 60s! 

Now to be fair, there’s never been a perfect model forecast 4 days out either! So there will be more changes for sure. Just know that at our location, we can’t get away with a single variable going arye, so the deck is always stacked against us, and that’s why we only average about 6” of snow per year. So always better to wait and make sure the stars are aligned. If one star is out of line, it simply won’t work!

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, snowinnc said:

I hope that this isn’t considered banter, and if it is I apologize, but I really do enjoy reading your analysis of every storm we have. You are extremely knowledgeable!  Based on your experience and just overall knowledge, has any storm ever gone south instead of doing the normal Northwest trend? I’m just trying to see if central NC still has a chance at all of getting anything other than a bunch of garbage.  I have been a long time lurker but I don’t think I have ever seen one storm not have the northwest trend in the end, but I’m hoping that I might have missed one along the way.

Thanks, those are kind words. I'll throw it out there that I am a pure weenie so handicap my analysis as you see fit. 

That's also a great question. Most recent example that comes to mind is that minor system last year in late January. That storm was kind of similar if I remember correctly- it was a day 6 bomb, and then it was modeled to ride up the coast and people kind of forgot about it. Models slowly slid it weaker and south until I think people on this board were like, hey guys, 48 hours away and the 3km NAM gives Rocky Mount 5 inches... should we talk about this? It turned out alright. 

I also think the Jan 2016 blizzard ticked south at the end. I chased that storm and stayed with a few buddies in Richmond doing "college student in blizzard" activities and remember sweating that location a few days beforehand. 

Lastly, I think in March 2018 we had a string of storm after storm after storm that overperformed in North Carolina after initially models had stuff to the north (need some witnesses on that).

Just now, Sandstorm94 said:

How big was the warm nose?

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

I have no idea. Would have to find maps from that time. I think it was in 94 but can't be 100% sure. As for the Burlington event that was in 2013 I believe. It was 55F at 4,000ft.

Anyone having that gut feeling that Lucy already pulled the football and we just haven't lined up for the kick yet?  Trust your gut.  We've all seen this game before and there is no reason not to assume the same outcome here until we are proven wrong.  (this will also be my approach with the Bengals playoff game Saturday.....31 years of disappointment.....prove me wrong)

The writing is on the wall folks.  When you see that much WAA hammering into the SE portion of the state there's a valid reason it showed up.  And if history is a good indicator, that's a trend that usually ends up with 25% of the forecasted snow total across much of CNC immediately followed by an hour of sleet and the rest of the day filled with freezing drizzle.  And we haven't even started talking dry slot yet.  Prove me wrong.  :P

• Thanks 4