• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

No need to cliff jump or celebrate until 12z tomorrow at the earliest. We have a pretty good feel for the envelope and I do feel the UKMET outcome is well within it. It seems lot of the conventional wisdom about the North trend is only true maybe half the time and this still looks like A+ chance for most on this board (even if it doesn't end up working out)

• Like 1

I think Central NC is still in a good spot. If anything, i see the Low trending more east than west the closer we get.  I don't think the models have a good grip on the strength of the wedge yet. we shall see.  i would hold off on the cliff diving and celebrations no matter where you are.  Someone is gonna get crushed and someone is gonna get screwed.  This is the nature of SE storms.  good luck everyone

• Like 3

Current status:

Boone: We're good

Charlotte: This could be the one!

Winston-Salem: Feeling good

Greensboro: Feeling pretty good

Raleigh-Durham: Tanking Maalox and downing Tums

Fayetteville: Day drinking

Wilmington: Hitting the ABC store to re-stock

• Like 5
  • Haha 14
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, eyewall said:

Current status:

LOL - wait until tomorrow and the Winston folks will be like "I'll take my hour of snow followed by a rapid change to IP".  Guess I can put the sled back now.  I feel like the jinx is already underway.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

LOL - wait until tomorrow and the Winston folks will be like "I'll take my hour of snow followed by a rapid change to IP".  Guess I can put the sled back now.  I feel like the jinx is already underway.

I would normally agree with you but I have a pretty good feeling about this one.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Current status:

Please continue to do this throughout the winter! This is awesome!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

So much truth to this statement as person living in the ip capital of the south Greensboro 

5 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

How are you still pessimistic after last week’s wonderful little snowstorm? 

This is where I am tempted to avoid the boards, turn off the internet, etc. so that I have a normal week… but I know that I’ll have my nose in the phone and lose sleep waiting for every model run.  Maybe I should have taken up painting or birdwatching as a hobby instead of weather.  

• Like 11

1 minute ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

How are you still pessimistic after last week’s wonderful little snowstorm? 

Easy.  That was a nice little surprise event, 48 hours out, where we always seem to do well with surprise events.  Everyone gets a couple inches and we move on.  These Big Dogs pan out once every 20 Burger Booms (no offense to Burger of course).  The amount of atmospheric alignment it takes to get everyone across the region even a 4" snow is nearly unachievable it seems.  We are playing 8D chess with weather models ( are there 8 dimensions in weather?  :lol: when all we really want is a good dose of cold and a few hours of rain.  So yeah, I'm a little pessimistic on the Big Dogs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Easy.  That was a nice little surprise event, 48 hours out, where we always seem to do well with surprise events.  Everyone gets a couple inches and we move on.  These Big Dogs pan out once every 20 Burger Booms (no offense to Burger of course).  The amount of atmospheric alignment it takes to get everyone across the region even a 4" snow is nearly unachievable it seems.  We are playing 8D chess with weather models ( are there 8 dimensions in weather?  :lol: when all we really want is a good dose of cold and a few hours of rain.  So yeah, I'm a little pessimistic on the Big Dogs.

I've learned the key too happiness is dismissing all model runs that show "the big one" and being satisfied with 2-4" that coats everything. Unfortunately knowing the key to happiness is only half the battle. I get disappointed regardless when the clown maps don't pan out, despite knowing better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

I've learned the key too happiness is dismissing all model runs that show "the big one" and being satisfied with 2-4" that coats everything. Unfortunately knowing the key to happiness is only half the battle. I get disappointed regardless when the clown maps don't pan out, despite knowing better.

Yep.  I'm in the current sweet spot, but i have full confidence we will not see the numbers these models are spitting out.  3-4" would be a great snow here in the upstate.  Most models do a very poor job of predicting actual amounts..

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Snow dog said:

Yep.  I'm in the current sweet spot, but i have full confidence we will not see the numbers these models are spitting out.  3-4" would be a great snow here in the upstate.  Most models do a very poor job of predicting actual amounts..

I've lived here for 58 years and a weather geek since grade school. Upper Level Lows that drop from the plains typically do not pan out for the upstate. Those mountains can be our friend, and sometimes our enemy. The upper level low has to drop deep enough south and west, to get the energy needed from the gulf. When it happens, it becomes a 20 year snowstorm. But those ingredients need to be a perfect storm for that. I would caution to the 1-3 inch for the time being. Which is always a thrill in the upstate. But hoping for a repeat of Jan 1987 and Jan 1988!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tony Sisk said:

I've lived here for 58 years and a weather geek since grad school. Upper Level Lows that drop from the plains typically do not pan out for the upstate. Those mountains can be our friend, and sometimes our enemy. The upper level low has to drop deep enough south and west, to get the energy needed from the gulf. When it happens, it becomes a 20 year snowstorm. But those ingredients need to be a perfect storm for that. I would caution to the 1-3 inch for the time being. Which is always a thrill in the upstate. But hoping for a repeat of Jan 1987 and Jan 1988!

Yeah-I'm a 51 year resident here myself so I hear ya.  1-3" is probably more realistic..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2