Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

5 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Imo, even if this storm trends more amped it looks like CAD regions are a near lock for frozen precip. Would just mean more sleet and freezing rain and less snow. I guess my point is the goal posts are pretty wide for a significant winter storm right now with respect to model shifts(for CAD regions)

We don’t need a lot of ZR here, at least in the Triad, after the tropical storm conditions with the last storm. I’d imagine a lot of trees are barely upright.

• Like 1

Been watching this pattern since the models started showing PNA ridge/split flow setup midweek last week. There's reason to be optimistic given the setup. If you look at the GFS ensemble mean 500mb pattern at day 4 from 12z, that pattern will produce a major winter storm in the southeast/southern mid-Atlantic probably 9 out of 10 times. Of course we can always screw it up lol.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, HKY_WX said:

Been watching this pattern since the models started showing PNA ridge/split flow setup midweek last week. There's reason to be optimistic given the setup. If you look at the GFS ensemble mean 500mb pattern at day 4 from 12z, that pattern will produce a major winter storm in the southeast/southern mid-Atlantic probably 9 out of 10 times. Of course we can always screw it up lol.

When he starts posting its time to pay attention

• Like 6

Just now, Sandstorm94 said:

So snow for NC, upstate SC gets ice, everywhere else rain?

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

This is just a rough guess at this point. No specifics. Given we're talking about primarily Polar Jet driven Upper Low with some STJ moisture tap, it's certainly possible snow could be farther south into GA/SC. Especially on the backend. 

Trend of the day guys has been for all model suites to close off at 500 around NE/SD area. That will be the goalpost for me to see as we get closer to kickoff if it happens sooner or later to determine who gets what. Once we know that a lot of questions can be answered about other important factors. Curious to see what Euro does here.

4 minutes ago, Sandstorm94 said:

So snow for NC, upstate SC gets ice, everywhere else rain?

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Thx brotha. Here's my prelim thoughts. HP orientation favors Ice over upstate SC and southern NC. I think the gefs has a good handle thus far on the setup.

GFS Ens Day 4.png

Thanks for posting Hky.  Been some talk of a March 1980 analog.  Saturday March 1, 1980, the upstate had a raging sleet storm all day with temps in the 20's while NC got hammered with snow.  The upstate did pick up 4" of snow that Saturday night on the back side that made for good sledding.