Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

20 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

I get that from a fear standpoint to the public but I mean synoptically and upstairs very similar. 

He's absolutely not wrong synoptically. I'm jabbing him endearingly, the fire is already hot, he knows better than to throw gasoline on it 5 days out (he likes my cat photos on Instagram I'm allowed to say this) 

8 minutes ago, TARHEELPROGRAMMER88 said:

I don't think this is a clipper anymore. More Miller A like. Someone correct me if I am wrong. 

You're right. When this was taking a Dakatos-Illinois-NC line it was a clipper but if it takes the GFS's Montana-ArkLaTex-GA line this is will be a bona-fide miller A. Full spectrum still on the table though.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

FWIW the nam has now closed off the energy coming down into the plains on this run, taking a step towards the gfs. 

1642204800-vGKkMZBImsA.png

Most won't remember but when the Jan 2000 storm passed over KC upper air vort (like this one will be close) they had a snow event that caused the icy roads that lead to the car wreck that ending up killing Derrick Thomas, albeit 2 weeks later. Morbid, i get it but I always connect the two. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

It’s like hybrid A/B at least on the depiction of the GFS, as it wants to transfer off SC coast which would then void the Miller A talk. Unique storm for sure.

When Miller B’s transfer off SC coast, does WAA tend to be less of a problem than when it transfer off NC?

2 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

Here comes the slush and cutting snow totals by 80%.  I'll give it until midnight before everyone south of Lexington is screaming about the warm nose.  :lol:

Concord here.. already screaming.  I know how this plays out imby. Snow ..ice..more ice.... we do better when the ULL swings through at the end. Meanwhile I'm already hating myself for following this thread... 

2 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

When Miller B’s transfer off SC coast, does WAA tend to be less of a problem than when it transfer off NC?

Man to be honest with you that is far out still, as we need to nail down the evolution and the timing of this system. Once we get to that point we can start to incorporate favorable jet dynamics and frontogenesis etc.. but long story short if it is going to undergo 11mb drop in 12 hrs, as depicted by the 6z GFS, then so long as it doesnt run too far inland the cold air can be aided by these factors on the west side of the storm. Looking forward to this talk as we get closer. Taken at face value the GFS is a little too wrapped up for my liking if you are a Carolina guy but then again the GFS has been the most aggressive so do not want to get way ahead of the game here.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

Eh nothing else to do might as well. Blue Ridge is right tho def trending toward GFS with the evolution. 

Yeah icon actually IMO has gotten worse as a model as a whole. Use to be fairly decent but it’s definitely always too warm at the surface. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

What are the ICON's verification scores like? Seems like splitting gnat hairs to dissect that model this greatly. 

I don't have hard numbers, but I'll tell you this. Every group of pals has someone you're neutral on. She's in the book club. He's in the fantasy football league. They're fine to invite to things. They're a net positive. But at the end of the day, you're not making big decisions based on them. They're not part of the wedding party. They're not in the rehearsal dinner. They're not getting invited to the souped up AirBnB in Blowing Rock. That's how I view the ICON.

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

2 minutes ago, rduwx said:

The wave dropping south appeared to be a little east of previous runs on the ICON.  We need the wave to be a little further west as it drops down so it has time to make the turn.  Hopefully we don't see this in future model runs today.

huh? 99hrs it is well west of the 6z run

4 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

I don't have hard numbers, but I'll tell you this. Every group of pals has someone you're neutral on. She's in the book club. He's in the fantasy football league. They're fine to invite to things. They're a net positive. But at the end of the day, you're not making big decisions based on them. They're not part of the wedding party. They're not in the rehearsal dinner. They're not getting invited to the souped up AirBnB in Blowing Rock. That's how I view the ICON.

I look at the lower scoring models in a situation like this only as validation to the top scorer model predictions.  If they tend to agree then the forecast it is that much more solid.  If they do not, it's just a net neutral to the forecast.  They are lower scorers for a reason.

In all reality going all in on the ICON is not advisable per ILMROSS' amazing explanation (LOL) however what im looking at specifically is evolution and also how it looks comparatively to globals upstairs. Major step in GFS direction. Energy at 108 is well west of 6z depiction. 6z had it north of ATL, 12z has it over NE MS.