Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

9 minutes ago, burgertime said:

Like this look for the south. Lots of energy rolling through and enough cold air. Even with the Euro solution from 12z it's a good look at this range. Split the difference and it's still a six inch snow storm! Can offer PBP for the Euro at 00z if it's looking good over the next few days. 

Only if we get a Burger “BOOM” like when I first started Lurking for Feb 2014 storm. 

41 minutes ago, burgertime said:

Like this look for the south. Lots of energy rolling through and enough cold air. Even with the Euro solution from 12z it's a good look at this range. Split the difference and it's still a six inch snow storm! Can offer PBP for the Euro at 00z if it's looking good over the next few days. 

BOOM! Glad to see you man!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, burgertime said:

My early weenie days were filled with PBP’s from burger and Robert.  Great to have you on board for this one, burger!

• Like 7

Thanks everyone! Wish we had a forum like this for Europe. Really miss the fun!

18z Euro EPS looks better to my eye at 500mb. Not the 18z GFS/GEFS but it's looking close to a nice ULL sliding across the SE with more energy than the 12z run. For now it's keeping south which is probably good given the NW trends as we get closer. 18z EPS spreads the snow line a little further south but with less moisture in general. 

Gonna sleep in tomorrow but should be around for the 00z runs the rest of the week if it's looking good. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, burgertime said:

Thanks everyone! Wish we had a forum like this for Europe. Really miss the fun!

18z Euro EPS looks better to my eye at 500mb. Not the 18z GFS/GEFS but it's looking close to a nice ULL sliding across the SE with more energy than the 12z run. For now it's keeping south which is probably good given the NW trends as we get closer. 18z EPS spreads the snow line a little further south but with less moisture in general. 

Gonna sleep in tomorrow but should be around for the 00z runs the rest of the week if it's looking good. 

Crazy to me the trajectory it takes based on where it starts. If I remember correctly the gfs has a tendency with northern stream systems to dig too far a lot of times. Curious to see how this one plays out. 

Yeah that storm really rocked. Just a rich period. I stayed in Wilmington for the 1.3.2018 bomb that gave us 4 inches of windswept powder over a half inch of sleety crust. 2 weeks later this even popped up. I was in Wilmington looking for my first weather job while the girl I was dating at the time lived in Raleigh. I asked if I could "visit" once it became apparent 48 hours out something was happening. What I remember about the 1.17.2018 storm is how suddenly it popped up. This was not a "thread 5 days out storm" - 2-3 days out it looked like we'd be really lucky if we got an inch, it just looked so dry! With this storm, the short range models (NAM, RGEM, etc) were the first to really beat the drum that qpf would be actually over 0.5. There was definitely a globals vs. CAMs (convection allowing models) split and if your forecast was all globals and you weren't trusting the CrAzY NaM then you ended up with egg on your face. My weather pals group chat was basically headhunting local news forecasts that were way too conservative (WRAL stuck out) and roasting them for about 36 hours straight. Fantastic storm. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1