• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
East coast storm targets our subforum Noon Sunday-3PM Monday 1/16-17/22 with significant impact potential for heavy snow/heavy rain, a period of gusts 45-60 MPH along the coast with possible coastal flooding Monday morning high tide.

wdrag

Some of the professionals I follow are still saying it’s too early to have any real refined forecast here. Looking at the model spread and unusual / complicated set up, I really think we need to wait until tonight / tomorrow before thinking this one is figured out. Of course it’s not looking likely for a major coastal event, but I absolutely don’t think there should be much certainty at this point in time. 

Let’s see how today evolves for starters, and if it just becomes more and more certain that this is a 100% miss for NYC / coastal suburbs, we’ll for sure have more opportunities coming up. 

I’m still riding the high of the tremendous change to our fortunes after that disastrous torch of a December (and the thinking on Jan being similar with the record - PNA persisting). We’ve come a long way to even be in this position tracking something after two solid snowstorms in the books for the coast (and south of course). 

SREF too early. 09z run is conservative on snowfall w NC and I like that.  As multi above - wait to refine and cant rule out an ene turn once the storm gets near BWI.  Out to sea, think the chance of that is less than 5%.  Better chance of a miss all wet than out to sea no qpf. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

It's not really reliable but its another model

20 minutes ago, wdrag said:

on SREF reliability, I don't think it would to exist in NCEP USA model suite, if it wasn't a helpful tool.  It can be stellar, and sometimes miss completely but wherever the core axis... it's pretty darn good.

Thanks Walt and Ant

6 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Issue on both is the position of the high.

What's to stop this from coming due north?

The saving grace might be a later phase or the southern stream being a little faster/getting ahead of the northern stream. That would enable it to dig a little further and get further east before making the left turn. But no there’s not a mechanism here like a block to stop it from making the sharp left turn. Doesn’t matter how cold it is out ahead of the storm. These inland tracks do make sense from how the setup is shown with the retreating high. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic