• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York- Jan 9-11 Lake Effect Snow Event

...A LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND WILL AFFECT PARTS OF JEFFERSON...OSWEGO...
AND LEWIS COUNTIES...

HAZARDS...A intense band of lake effect snow which can rapidly
reduce visibility to less than a quarter of a mile, with zero
visibility in the heart of the band. This lake effect snow band is
producing extremely heavy snow at the rate of 3 to 5 inches per
hour. This will make travel just about impossible along this stretch
of I-81 from around Mannsville south to Pulaski. Please avoid travel
in these areas.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

probably will finish close to 3". The little weenie band last night did the most damage. Just had some very light snow most of the day that hasn't done much until last 1hr 

When I had looked at a potential job in Lowville years ago, I had decided there was no way I would live in town. It'd have to be 15 minutes up on the plateau. I mean, 130 inch average snowfall is a nice amount...but knowing almost double to triple that amount was only 15 minutes away would kill me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

When I had looked at a potential job in Lowville years ago, I had decided there was no way I would live in town. It'd have to be 15 minutes up on the plateau. I mean, 130 inch average snowfall is a nice amount...but knowing almost double to triple that amount was only 15 minutes away would kill me.

Lol it's already killing me haha. That shadow suckkkkksssss. But it's a trade off. Like for wolfie's location. yes he gets crushed with lake effect but the snow retention aspect is no where close to here in lowville. The snow retention here is solid 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tombo82685 said:

Lol it's already killing me haha. That shadow suckkkkksssss. But it's a trade off. Like for wolfie's location. yes he gets crushed with lake effect but the snow retention aspect is no where close to here in lowville. The snow retention here is solid 

Yeah I know I lived in Copenhagen last year lol Only for 6 months (2 months of winter)..But I'm like BW I only care about rates, once it's on the ground whatever happens, happens lol

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Not to pile on but…I’ve stayed a few times in February in a cabin on the Independence River in Glenfield. That big jump in elevation after you cross the Black River and hit the ADK park boundary does wonders for snowfall. Each time I stayed there snow depth was 3+ feet. 15 minutes away in Lowville snow depth was always noticeably less. Not an area that probably gets the best radar coverage but the snow really piles up over there. So if you ever want to head a bit east/southeast there’s big snow there too. 

• Like 2

Lewis County...
1 ENE Osceola                18.0 in   1159 AM 01/10   Public

...Oswego County...
3 SW Osceola                 30.0 in   0445 PM 01/10   Public
Redfield                     21.0 in   0332 PM 01/10   Public
2 N Richland                 11.0 in   0500 PM 01/10   Trained Spotter
8 N Redfield                 11.0 in   0345 PM 01/10   CO-OP Observer
2 W Oswego                   4.2 in    0200 PM 01/10   CO-OP Observer
Mexico                       4.0 in    1230 PM 01/10   Public
2 WSW Oswego                 4.0 in    1100 AM 01/10   Public
&&