• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York- Jan 9-11 Lake Effect Snow Event

18 minutes ago, CoolMikeWx said:

My best friend is buying a house in Brantingham which would fall here. He said they get full ISP coverage which he was surprised (Not sure who it is) and also gas i believe.

I spend a lot of time on Brantingham Lake and there is definitely no Natural Gas there. Time Warner does offer high speed internet. Where did he buy? On the lake? There’s been very few properties available. 

20 minutes ago, sferic said:

Random question, but do areas like Redfield and the other off the path snow king  towns get Spectrum, Fios or Natural Gas through National Grid?

Internet is horrible up there, and they jack the prices up knowing full well the lack of competition. When I was there, there were rumbles discussion of them expanding Fios from Camden to Redfield.

P.S. I love the little town of Camden. If I had been able to get a job in Camden (very limited due to size) I would have easily lived in the area between Florence and Camden. That northwest portion of Oneida county is a hidden snow weenie's dream! It's a bit higher up in elevation and does amazing in setups like today. They often had more snow there than in South Redfield where I was at.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sferic said:

Matt,

If we lucked out, what could our areas max out with from tonight's round?

As I've said for days, 6 to 10 inches. I think our minimum will be about 3 or 4 inches. Sometimes the snowband can get hung up a bit (not for long with that Arctic front rushing in today) and then we can get several more inches if there are some intense multi-bands. If those things all fall in place, over 6 inches is very possible. If the front just rushes through and we get scattered snow showers behind it, that 3 to 4 inches would probably be it. I think we'll get more than the 3 to 4 inches, especially with the fluff factor. Syrmax has a good call of about 6 inches.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I spend a lot of time on Brantingham Lake and there is definitely no Natural Gas there. Time Warner does offer high speed internet. Where did he buy? On the lake? There’s been very few properties available. 

Almost directly on the lake, Partridgeville road actually maybe 2 minutes from the Pine Tree.

Probably has electric then if that's the case.. I'd have to find the listing and check.

He was gunning for a spot right in Brantingham since last summer and couldn't find anything. Someone renovated a house entirely and snagged it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Internet is horrible up there, and they jack the prices up knowing full well the lack of competition. When I was there, there were rumbles discussion of them expanding Fios from Camden to Redfield.

P.S. I love the little town of Camden. If I had been able to get a job in Camden (very limited due to size) I would have easily lived in the area between Florence and Camden. That northwest portion of Oneida county is a hidden snow weenie's dream! It's a bit higher up in elevation and does amazing in setups like today. They often had more snow there than in South Redfield where I was at.

Yeah, remote areas are getting fiber quickly as there was a huge grant from the state. For example in Delaware county I had fiber from MTC (Margaretville Telephone company) basic cable and 25mbps(which is a joke for fiber, and doesn't cost them anything to speed you up) was like $165/mo because they knew there was no competition for internet. No DirecTV, no spectrum, frontier, etc. If you wanted them to increase speed the price went up astronomically. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Not a lot of Dentists up there either. Demand/Supply thing. ;)

Look at the Northeast edge of that band on radar, it's actually hoovering in snow from just north of the band. Freaking incredible.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Not a lot of Dentists up there either. Demand/Supply thing. ;)

Look at the Northeast edge of that band on radar, it's actually hoovering in snow from just north of the band. Freaking incredible.

There's more people in Redfield with the last name Yerdon (or some spelling version of it) than there are teeth.

• Haha 1

The 1.5 to 2 inches of snow from last night was definitely a lower ratio snowfall with that synoptic element to it. It's barely budged (other than from gusty winds) in hours and hours of sunshine. The lake effect fluff from other "events" this season vanished quickly. (The ground is also colder now too, which has some effect.)

9 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

There's more people in Redfield with the last name Yerdon (or some spelling version of it) than there are teeth.

After looking at models I think the band will be in our area around 8 PM. At the rate it will be moving south I don’t expect it to be over us more than an hour. Plus once it falls off the lake it will fall apart quickly. I don’t see us getting the 6 inches you’re forecasting. I’m thinking 1-2 inches max. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

After looking at models I think the band will be in our area around 8 PM. At the rate it will be moving south I don’t expect it to be over us more than an hour. Plus once it falls off the lake it will fall apart quickly. I don’t see us getting the 6 inches you’re forecasting. I’m thinking 1-2 inches max. 

Yikes, I hope it's not that low. I'm thinking 2 to 4 inches with the band, and then a couple more with multi-bands. If those bands don't work out for many, then it will be the low end I mentioned of 3 to 4 inches.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

As I've said for days, 6 to 10 inches. I think our minimum will be about 3 or 4 inches. Sometimes the snowband can get hung up a bit (not for long with that Arctic front rushing in today) and then we can get several more inches if there are some intense multi-bands. If those things all fall in place, over 6 inches is very possible. If the front just rushes through and we get scattered snow showers behind it, that 3 to 4 inches would probably be it. I think we'll get more than the 3 to 4 inches, especially with the fluff factor. Syrmax has a good call of about 6 inches.

SYR-3”

Roc-1.5”

Caz-4”

Skaneatles-4”

Just too dry following the fropa 

6 minutes ago, CoolMikeWx said:

I feel like both of these adjusted a bit north? The hill didn't see that much expected accum in previous runs?

Good for me, bad for you I supposed will try to send some your way :D

Yeah they both did, here's a couple of overnight runs of the Hrrr

snku_acc.us_ne - 2022-01-10T154154.578.png

snku_acc.us_ne - 2022-01-10T154220.703.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Nws added in thunder for south shore?

Tonight
Snow before 2am, then snow showers likely after 2am. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Areas of blowing snow before 2am. Low around 5. Wind chill values as low as -10. Blustery, with a northwest wind 18 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
  • Like 1