• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York- Jan 9-11 Lake Effect Snow Event

21 minutes ago, tim123 said:

You almost in the worst area of Southern Ontario for lake snow. Its good you can get some bonus snow with a North East wind. You ever get any erie action. Suspect that's rare would have to be a ssw wind

The GTA is getting some streamers tonight and so am I currently (to keep the convo more relevant) 

The wind is allowing the Lake Huron bands to push all the way into Toronto/Hamilton. Winter weather travel advisories for 1-3" tonight from Lake effect. 

Barrie (120K population) could see 16-24" by Tuesday morning. Most of the southern Ontario snow belts are under a snow squall warning for 8" or more 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mississaugasnow said:

The GTA is getting some streamers tonight and so am I currently (to keep the convo more relevant) 

The wind is allowing the Lake Huron bands to push all the way into Toronto/Hamilton. Winter weather travel advisories for 1-3" tonight from Lake effect. 

Barrie (120K population) could see 16-24" by Tuesday morning. Most of the southern Ontario snow belts are under a snow squall warning for 8" or more 

I was wondering how you guys were doing after looking at the radar I posted above. Boy, do I miss the 2 winters I spent in Muskoka.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tim123 said:

The streamers up near Watertown is from georgian bay.

Screenshot_20220109-225718_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yeah, especially after this flash-freeze type situation.

https://weather.gc.ca/map_e.html?layers=radar&zoom=-1&center=44.19981915%2C-80.03659662

You can see that Georgian Bay band that is making it all the way to Watertown, its just dumping snow on Hwy 11. Don't envy the truckers doing the late night hauls tonight on the 400/11, but would love to be up there enjoying it from inside a house haha 

• Like 2

It seems like WNW flow events often occur during the wee morning of the hours when I'm supposed to be sleeping...and then I'm up til like 3 in the morning. Is there a meteorological reason that this happens, or has it just been coincidental? I know there are different wind shifts that can occur at night that do affect bands. Is there something that happens overnight that helps to push the bands onshore more?

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

It seems like WNW flow events often occur during the wee morning of the hours when I'm supposed to be sleeping...and then I'm up til like 3 in the morning. Is there a meteorological reason that this happens, or has it just been coincidental? I know there are different wind shifts that can occur at night that do affect bands. Is there something that happens overnight that helps to push the bands onshore more?

I've noticed same around here.  I call it Vampire snow.  There's something to your idea I think, but some coincidence involved also.  

• Thanks 1

believe to do with heating of land during day.

7 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

2 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I've noticed same around here.  I call it Vampire snow.  There's something to your idea I think, but some coincidence involved also.  

I remember discussing with some people years ago the diurnal and nocturnal effects on lake effect snow. For example, especially as we get later in the season, the sun's heating tends to create a more cellular structure as opposed to a single band. Then, at night, more solid banding tends to form. You don't read too much about this in NWS discussions though.

8 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I remember discussing with some people years ago the diurnal and nocturnal effects on lake effect snow. For example, especially as we get later in the season, the sun's heating tends to create a more cellular structure as opposed to a single band. Then, at night, more solid banding tends to form. You don't read too much about this in NWS discussions though.

I think that's right. Daytime heating does cause enough instability to create a cellular nature. That's part of it certainly.

• Like 1

Hit snow just south of driver’s village. Lost sight of the rd around Cicero with the worst from about Oneida lake up to parish, especially closer to parish. As soon as I hit exit 33 shut right off and was more intermittent til near Pulaski where it briefly picked up again. Rds cleared up around pierpont roughly, dry in Watertown . Headed back down in a few minutes…

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Polarbear said:

Hit snow just south of driver’s village. Lost sight of the rd around Cicero with the worst from about Oneida lake up to parish, especially closer to parish. As soon as I hit exit 33 shut right off and was more intermittent til near Pulaski where it briefly picked up again. Rds cleared up around pierpont roughly, dry in Watertown . Headed back down in a few minutes…

How much snow has fallen, would you estimate, around Parish?

1 hour ago, Ericjcrash said:

Yeah, I got extremely lucky. Eyeballing a couple of inches out of the window.

2A4EFD2A-95F3-4592-9F38-7976AF4690C7.thumb.png.dcdd0bd2fa8e480016cdfb5f09315491.pngLook at the intensity of the band just north of you around Perth. It’s only about 3-4 miles wide but is probably producing 1-2 inches per hour. I assume you’re south of that. Just like me it’s very frustrating to be a spectator in a front row seat.

• Like 2