• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York- Jan 9-11 Lake Effect Snow Event

6 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Probably why it vanished so quickly today. My gosh! Oh, well... Still full coverage here.

I had 33:1 yesterday. I ran the snowblower just to have a practice run before we get a big one and it was like snowblowing styrofoam. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Probably why it vanished so quickly today. My gosh! Oh, well... Still full coverage here.

Yea these lake effect snows with such low water content sublimate fast and melt fast. Thats why I like a good synoptic crush, get some moisture in the snow so it doesn't get wiped out in one day when it hits 40

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Yea these lake effect snows with such low water content sublimate fast and melt fast. Thats why I like a good synoptic crush, get some moisture in the snow so it doesn't get wiped out in one day when it hits 40

Nothing like seeing a foot of lake effect compact down to 6 inches in a day. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

WPC

Great Lakes... Days 1-3... A cold front moving across the Great Lakes and into New England tonight will leave strong CAA on WNW flow in its wake. Within this intense CAA, 850mb temps will crash to -20C to -25C, while lake temperatures are still relatively warm and ice-free. This will allow for an extended period of favorable LES in the typical W/NW snow belts downwind of Lake Superior, Erie, and Ontario D1 into D2. The most intense snowfall is likely D1 east of Lake Ontario where favorable ascent into the DGZ combined with impressive instability nearing 1000 J/kg and aided by upslope into the Tug Hill Plateau will produce 2"/hr snowfall rates. WPC probabilities are high for 8 inches on D1, with locally more than 2 ft likely in the Tug Hill. Downwind of Lake Erie, generally south of Buffalo, and in the eastern U.P. of MI, WPC probabilities are moderate to high for 4 inches with locally 6-8" possible. Snowfall here will be slightly less due to less favorable ascent/DGZ depths. By D2, a second surge of CAA will drop southward behind a trailing shortwave, but this will also be accompanied by a shift to more northerly flow and dry advection. This will also be replaced quickly by approaching shortwave ridging from the SW with accompanying WAA. This will gradually wind down the LES, but an additional few inches of snow is possible on Tuesday. A third impulse and associated surface cold front will cross the area on D3 bringing renewed CAA and LES, but at this time additional snowfall amounts look modest.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Bingo. Until we get a good synoptic snow, that's what's going to keep happening. GFS jumped on board with some clippers starting this weekend, so perhaps we can get that to change. An east coast bomb would be even better. :P 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Had a 3-incher last year from a ULL. Ratios were as low as 5:1. Stayed on the ground for almost 2 weeks in some shady spots.

Had a storm in SE PA that dropped several inches of snow, then 4 to 6 inches of SLEET, that then got encased in some freezing rain, and then finished off with a couple more inches of wet snow. It all froze over that night then. That was by far the most dense glacier I have ever experienced! If you didn't get your car or anything else plowed or shoveled before the freeze, it was TORTURE trying to clear it out. That stuff survived weeks of high dewpoints and temps in the 50s.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Had a storm in SE PA that dropped several inches of snow, then 4 to 6 inches of SLEET, that then got encased in some freezing rain, and then finished off with a couple more inches of wet snow. It all froze over that night then. That was by far the most dense glacier I have ever experienced! If you didn't get your car or anything else plowed or shoveled before the freeze, it was TORTURE trying to clear it out. That stuff survived weeks of high dewpoints and temps in the 50s.

There was a storm in March 2018 or 17, it was suppose to crush sepa and ended up giving bgm like 3’. We had 4” of snow and like 4” of sleet. That lasted a week in mid March with that sun angle. Some serious liquid in it 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

There was a storm in March 2018 or 17, it was suppose to crush sepa and ended up giving bgm like 3’. We had 4” of snow and like 4” of sleet. That lasted a week in mid March with that sun angle. Some serious liquid in it 

I remember that one. Great storm forNEPAand Binghamton area. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I think that was March 2017. Sleet may not look as pretty as snow when it's falling, but it provides the same white landscape (although almost like a bluish white tint) and lasts sooooooo much longer. Oh, and the plowed piles are HUGE. Trying to drive in a sleetstorm is a nightmare though. I don't know if these guys up here have ever experienced one...but a true sleetstorm is quite the awesome experience (as you know)!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Let the games begin:

image.thumb.png.fbbbb0780f6eaf62f20b24aae663b46c.png

Ground/Streets covered here. I am bringing my son to Syracuse airport tomorrow morning at 0630 for an 8 am flt out to his base in Seattle area. Kind of hoping they are right that the band shifts a tad north by then.

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Just got finished with the first heavy snow shower of the event. Fresh covering on everything. Roads are going to be nasty...flash freeze.

Speaking of that, I can already hear the plows/salt trucks going down the roads. They do a great job of staying on top of them here.

The temperature is down to 30 here. Anybody that depends on plowing to make money has had a slow season so far. They should be making up for lost time over the next 36 hours. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

The temperature is down to 30 here. Anybody that depends on plowing to make money has had a slow season so far. They should be making up for lost time over the next 36 hours. 

If they do seasonal contracts, they've had a few pretty easy years. I imagine more clients are looking for "per plow" after paying for what were weak snow seasons.

59 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Remember a sleet storm in the late 80s early 90s that dumbed 4 inches of sleet in roc. Was insane. It is a bitch to drive in as well. Pulls you off road.

VD and St paddy's day 07 both featured 5-6" of sleet where I lived in Queens. Absolutely epic. Trillions of frozen ball bearings were a nightmare for plows.

• Like 1