Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday Morning Ice Event - January 9th

ChescoWx

2 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

The nearest place I've seen who had some decent/note worthy icy is Pottsville (Yuengling)...cars were seriously coated and they're under a ice storm warming.

36F...some misty rain.

Just saw the ice storm warning -

Ice Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service State College PA
608 AM EST Sun Jan 9 2022

PAZ037-041-042-046-049>053-058-091900-
/O.UPG.KCTP.WW.Y.0002.000000T0000Z-220109T1900Z/
/O.NEW.KCTP.IS.W.0001.220109T1108Z-220109T1900Z/
Tioga-Northern Lycoming-Sullivan-Southern Lycoming-Union-Snyder-
Montour-Northumberland-Columbia-Schuylkill-
Including the cities of Mansfield, Wellsboro, Trout Run, Laporte,
Williamsport, Lewisburg, Selinsgrove, Danville, Sunbury,
Shamokin, Bloomsburg, Berwick, and Pottsville
608 AM EST Sun Jan 9 2022

...ICE STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Significant icing. Ice accumulations of one quarter to
  one half inch.

* WHERE...Portions of central Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...Until 2 PM EST this afternoon.

* IMPACTS...Extremely dangerous travel conditions. Untreated
  surfaces will be very slippery. Isolated power outages are
  possible.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and Pennsylvania
Turnpike Commission strongly encourage motorists to heed all
travel restrictions and delay unnecessary travel as severe winter
weather conditions will make travel very hazardous. If you must
travel, keep an extra flashlight, food and water in your vehicle
in case of an emergency.

Call 5 1 1 or visit www.511pa.com for the latest travel, roadway
and traffic conditions.

To report snow or ice, post to the NWS State College Facebook
page, use Twitter @NWSStateCollege, or visit weather.gov/ctp.

&&

$$

FIqCZLoWQAEJXEb.png

Currently 35 with dp 29 and now getting some drizzle and light rain.

Looks like most folks in Western Chesco are still below freezing. Hopefully we warm up by noon as the NWS predicts for the county. As mentioned before it is usually a pretty slow slog in the relatively higher spots in the county like mine over 600 ft ASL -NWS has 41 here for the high...I will bet we stay in the 30's. Some light ice accretion continues

2022-01-09 11.13.37.jpg

1 minute ago, RedSky said:

Their whole point was the temperature staying below freezing and the roads an ice skating rink all day

That possibility was there but apparently didn't happen on this side of the state.  I was concerned that even with above freezing temps, the ground was so cold that rain would freeze on contact but at least where I am, the precip held off until the past couple hours or so.

Got in another heated discussion with another boomer family member telling me north was west, to the point they got out their phone compass which made it 10x worse because somehow the compass was in error and agreed with them that north was west. When I brought up google maps which correctly showed north was north it got even 10x worse because that to them was obviously not right lol

• Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

Ice accretion continues here in NW Chester County temp steady at 32.2 on VP and 31.8 on the Tempest - The NWS has extended the WWA for Western Chesco till 3pm

33F and rain all concrete and blacktop just wet 

Even pine branches and bush twigs that typically ice up in these situations are ice free 

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Family member was off the rails yesterday about a serious ice storm today blah blah blah. Tried to warn them there would be nothing of the kind but whatever..

Does family member work at a CVS? Mine has a 3” accumulation of rock salt in the parking lot.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

Got in another heated discussion with another boomer family member telling me north was west, to the point they got out their phone compass which made it 10x worse because somehow the compass was in error and agreed with them that north was west. When I brought up google maps which correctly showed north was north it got even 10x worse because that to them was obviously not right lol

How many family members do you live with? It's like The Waltons...

36f/light rain

1 hour ago, CoolHandMike said:

Roads look pretty wet. I'm a little concerned about driving to work tomorrow at 4:30am... I guess I'll see how far I can get and if it's worth it to go in at all. Not especially looking forward to working outside all day either.

Slight winds(10-15mph) this evening/overnight may help you w/the drying out process before things really ice up. I had some gust in the 15-20mph range...

36F/light rain

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Slight winds(10-15mph) this evening/overnight may help you w/the drying out process before things really ice up. I had some gust in the 15-20mph range...

36F/light rain

Turns out it doesn't matter as the site boss just texted me to say that work's off tomorrow due to some key personnel calling in sick. Which is good, because everything is still really wet what with all the rain (and melting snow). I have no doubt it'll dry some when the winds pick up, but it's not something I really wanted to investigate at 4:30am. Wife is happy as well.

Currently still above freezing here though, and actually the warmest it's been all day.

image.png.9a1fb597a6a92c9d9412e83dab104868.png