Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hilarious forecast

LVwxHistorian

1 hour ago, BBasile said:

lmao.  They're government employees, they don't make that much money.  Way too little, actually.  It's public information.  I'm guessing you really don't know too much about meteorology....or any science for that matter.   

Food for the troll ends here.  Enjoy.  

He must think I am making millions! 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, LVwxHistorian said:

But then why be so definitive, why not just say "it's still too early to tell if this storm will head north or out to sea"??  So easy, right??

Who cares?! It was 26 years ago. Lessons I am sure were learned from that storm but you have to move on. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, MGorse said:

And I think AccuWeather provided forecasts to KYW radio then. 

I don't think they were even forecasting it that low by that Saturday.  I remember earlier in the week some 1" - 3" estimates but as we approached that weekend, the forecast had been gradually increasing until it was up to at least 3" - 5", then I think 6" - 8" by the Friday/Saturday timeframe.  I watched the classic TWC coverage that weekend where TWC kept adding more and more colors to their snow map that Saturday, Sunday and Monday, literally doing "real-time" / "on the fly" nowcasts.

Someone posted a video of TWC (a Wilmington feed which is within our CWA) with the current conditions/forecast late Saturday afternoon (where the Winter Storm Warnings were already up) -

Someone else posted a Baltimore feed of TWC (Sterling CWA) with the same storm coverage but now picking it up from around 9 am Sunday, where the Blizzard Warnings were already up -

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LVwxHistorian said:

That's actually part of my point, 96 wasn't that long ago!!!!  

And I really don't think a reporter would mess up quotes to the point of misrepresenting what the person said, do you?  Was he trying to say that we were going to get a big storm and it came out this way?!     

I don't think so -- it was just a horrible forecast, and I remember it vividly!!!

I don't remember it at all, of course I wasn't reading the Morning Call. I remember being up at 2 am Sunday morning and seeing it starting to snow, and well before that the forecast amounts had been reupped. Forecasts evolve with changing data but you know that.

I really didn't post this to make the guy, or NWS, look bad -- but to highlight the difficulties in forecasting.  Though this guy could have saved himself a lot of embarrassment if he had just been more ambiguous instead of being so sure of himself -- so yeah, he really did it to himself!!    Sorry you don't like it, but don't kill the messenger -- I'm just reporting the facts guys!!

Just like that dang Coatesville!!!

Boy if I didn't post cool stuff like this, this place would be boring as heck, lol!!

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

The greater Boston region today received double to triple the snow expected only 24 hours ago despite all the tools and knowledge available. It's not easy.

That's nice.  But seriously, did anyone 2 days ago say that they weren't gonna get anything?!

• Weenie 1

And I'm still waiting for an answer: Why wasn't Iovino more ambiguous?!! 

I think he was trying to sound like he knew what he was talking about so if he nailed it then he was golden!!   Just like Sal here at 2:30 -- "why's he being so specific" -- "it's a dumb approach"!

• Weenie 1

50 minutes ago, LVwxHistorian said:

I think he was trying to sound like he knew what he was talking about so if he nailed it then he was golden!!   Just like Sal here at 2:30 -- "why's he being so specific" -- "it's a dumb approach"!

When you get your degree please find a job as far away from here as possible.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, MGorse said:

This was from ‘96! Was this post necessary? And from experience, reporters do not always get the quotes correct. 

And that really shows a lot of class -- trying to blame a reporter when it's the person she's reporting who messed up!!!   Wow!

1 hour ago, LVwxHistorian said:

So you are all of a sudden waiting for an answer 26 years later? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, LVwxHistorian said:

And that really shows a lot of class -- trying to blame a reporter when it's the person she's reporting who messed up!!!   Wow!

Really WTH! Reporters do not always get the quote right. Not sure if that was the case here, as it was 26 years ago and it was not me who was interviewed.

Why don’t you reach out to the Meteorologist quoted in that article then? He still works at NWS Mount Holly. You could have done so years ago! 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LVwxHistorian said:

That's actually part of my point, 96 wasn't that long ago!!!!  

And I really don't think a reporter would mess up quotes to the point of misrepresenting what the person said, do you?  Was he trying to say that we were going to get a big storm and it came out this way?!     

I don't think so -- it was just a horrible forecast, and I remember it vividly!!!

“96 wasn’t that long ago”

oh, just a little over a quarter of a century.

give it a rest you dope.  Didn’t you make this same thread a month or two ago?

• Like 3

Dude, the only one being classless is you. ALL forecasts and forecasters had the storm heading OTS until the last minute. Why you've decided to fixate on a single forecaster is what's classless.

I guess John Bolaris should be given the Congressional Medal of Honor for breaking into network programming in March 2001 to hype a 3-foot snowstorm that never materialized.

I hope you become a great forecaster, I really do. Because it would suck if you ever issue an incorrect one and some interweb weenie trolls you over it a quarter century after the fact demanding answers.

• Like 2