• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS-Nowcast: ICE likely 4A-Noon Sunday January 9. Onset time uncertain but a 1-5 hour period of freezing rain-sleet should occur sometime in the morning. Possible afternoon extension I84 corridor.

wdrag

Got down to 15 here, up to 17 about an hour ago and back to 15.9 now.

I know it's gonna go up fast when the wind kicks up.  I don't use the south shore temps to gage what going to happen when the wind kicks up; I look at the temperature in Manhattan and the 100 meter temperature on the tower at BNL.

It's 30° in Manhattan.  On the tower, the current temperature at ground level (2 meters) is 14° and the 50 meter temperature is 28°.  For some reason the 100 meter sensor has been out a while; it's generally warmer than at 50 meters with an inversion.

So, a breeze mixing things up will get us close to 30°, but it'll take WAA to get us warmer than that.  With temps in the mid-teens for many hours, some surfaces may ice if the precip comes in early enough even if the air temperature is already above freezing.  Think of those red brick steps outside your front door, if you have them.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Got down to 15 here, up to 17 about an hour ago and back to 15.9 now.

I know it's gonna go up fast when the wind kicks up.  I don't use the south shore temps to gage what going to happen when the wind kicks up; I look at the temperature in Manhattan and the 100 meter temperature on the tower at BNL.

It's 30° in Manhattan.  On the tower, the current temperature at ground level (2 meters) is 14° and the 50 meter temperature is 28°.  For some reason the 100 meter sensor has been out a while; it's generally warmer than at 50 meters with an inversion.

So, a breeze mixing things up will get us close to 30°, but it'll take WAA to get us warmer than that.  With temps in the mid-teens for many hours, some surfaces may ice if the precip comes in early enough even if the air temperature is already above freezing.  Think of those red brick steps outside your front door, if you have them.

I'm back down to 17. 

18 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

Just did it.

Temps 32-34 from 2 miles north of Whitestone Bridge on down

Critical for icing, the 30 F line is cross county.

Hastings 28F

Classic CAD setup this morning with a light southerly wind starting to warm the lowest layers of the atmosphere especially along the coast with colder temperatures inland.  Temps along the south shore of the island have risen into the mid 30s while along the north shore they are in the lower 30s.  Temps in the city are in the low to mid 30s.  Just inland they are in the upper 20s.  WWA is up for places just to the north and west where temperatures are below freezing.  I am in the upper 20s with freezing rain as shown on radar almost on my doorstep.  Temps in western PA to the west of the spine of the Appalachians (a line drawn roughly from north to south from the State College area) are above freezing with rain.  This all aligns with the model projections from yesterday.  This looks to be a nasty day on the highways away from the coast with this setup.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Just hit 32/28, really want to see temps above freezing for an extended amount of time as everything is iced over currently 

Yep. 2m temps mean little when the ground is still frozen if we cant get above freezing far enough or for long enough. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Precip just took too long to get here, Wednesday was a few hrs earlier.  All the difference 

most of the big ZR events on the coast are in the early AM (like wed)  Still dry here and 37 now-solar insolation will help on the roads so looks like all rain here