• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS-Nowcast: ICE likely 4A-Noon Sunday January 9. Onset time uncertain but a 1-5 hour period of freezing rain-sleet should occur sometime in the morning. Possible afternoon extension I84 corridor.

wdrag

Ground colder and longer duration in the city than last Wednesday. Only difference might be if the precip starts later than last Wed which may give the coast time to get air temps above freezing. Although ground temps will take a while longer. Other difference is that it’s a Sunday morning and should have much less traffic on the roads. One final thing, most NYC roads are full of salt since sanitation was salting yesterday for hours after the snow stopped.

2 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Ice on the South Shore of LI is so rare, I am pretty sure I've seen more ice storms in Houston in 20 years than Massapequa in 14.  Need a perfect wind direction.  DFW can do ice w/o an airmass change over 40F prior day, clouds and low DP are magic.

The most recent ice event in Long Beach where I grew up may have been the Valentines Day 2007 storm, where there was enough ice to make tree limbs bend/break. 93-94 may also have had a couple of ice events. It’s a good amount more common where I live now. A few times there’s been a glaze to a slightly thicker coating of ice since I moved here 3 years ago that were cold rain on the south shore. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Ice on the South Shore of LI is so rare, I am pretty sure I've seen more ice storms in Houston in 20 years than Massapequa in 14.  Need a perfect wind direction.  DFW can do ice w/o an airmass change over 40F prior day, clouds and low DP are magic.

There were some ice storms in the 90s i believe, as well as one in 1978. Those a really the only one’s that come to mind for the south shore

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

There were some ice storms in the 90s i believe, as well as one in 1978. Those a really the only one’s that come to mind for the south shore

uhm the 1994 ice storm was absolutely epic we had close to 2" of ice here temp never got to freezing near JFK

happened again in 2007 actually that was a sleet to freezing rain storm on VD and then again in March

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The most recent ice event in Long Beach where I grew up may have been the Valentines Day 2007 storm, where there was enough ice to make tree limbs bend/break. 93-94 may also have had a couple of ice events. It’s a good amount more common where I live now. A few times there’s been a glaze to a slightly thicker coating of ice since I moved here 3 years ago that were cold rain on the south shore. 

epic JFK ice storm in Jan 1994 that might be the GOAT of ice storms with inches of ice.

VD 2007 and St Paddys Day 2007 were also pretty good

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Still in the teens here, already above freezing in Long Beach and Jones Beach. When the winds kick up overnight, our temps here will go up in a hurry. 

Hypothetically of course, but how high of a wall would need to be built to keep the mild air off the ocean from being able to come in?

Likewise, to keep the sea breeze blocked during the summer?