Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 7 Two-Headed Coastal Obs

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Well it's probably a good thing you're not a mod then, since I don't think many here would agree with you weenie-tagging mets like Will and Tip.

Will is one of the few on here whom I almost never disagree with. I still would have weenie tagged him when he mentioned it... at least briefly :lol:

• Weenie 4

KBOS final 11.7" per NWS twitter

Great storm to placate a lot of early seasonal frustrations.

As always, a great place to learn from the mets here. The map below I think predominantly reflects (1) 700mb frontogenic band in response to vigorous shortwave and great SLRs, overlayed in 2nd half with (2) deepening of the farther-east-than-could've-been surface low with ensuing advection through 850-700 mb layer

Snow_totals_Jan7_2022_snowstorm.thumb.jpeg.8264a0e3b76441da6f6f1db9d5dd46f4.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

As always, a great place to learn from the mets here. The map below I think predominantly reflects (1) 700mb frontogenic band in response to vigorous shortwave and great SLRs, overlayed in 2nd half with (2) deepening of the farther-east-than-could've-been surface low with ensuing advection through 850-700 mb layer

Snow_totals_Jan7_2022_snowstorm.thumb.jpeg.8264a0e3b76441da6f6f1db9d5dd46f4.jpeg

That map shows the brutal qpf cutoff to the NW.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

These maps are always terrible.   7" inches in shown for "3 WSW Franklin" in SE CT was reported at 6:26am during the heaviest snow.  It snowed for another 3+ hours in that location.  I finished at 8.9" - 15 miles due south of there.

I graded this effort an A-.

Although the forecast philosophy never wavered from the notion of a major storm  (frustrated posts on a message board not withstanding), in the end the flaw with the forecast was that I was not intensely concentrated enough with the area of deformation.

https://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2022/01/verification-of-friday-major-winter.html

Verify.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Although the forecast philosophy never wavered from the notion of a major storm  (frustrated posts on a message board not withstanding), in the end the flaw with the forecast was that I was not intensely concentrated enough with the area of deformation.

https://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2022/01/verification-of-friday-major-winter.html

Verify.png

Final Call.png

FIRST CALL.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Verify.png

It seems rather difficult to even figure out where that deformation band sets up in New England.  It's different just about every time with these storms.  It's also why we will never be able to predict snowfall to the inch - you get into the larger predictions and the range needs to be larger to account for the bands.  It may take another decade of modeling resolution increases to get close to that point.  I thought your forecast was on point and 6-12 seems valid for most of the area.  The Cape busted high because that band was really juicy at the end and temps did not get quite as warm as expected.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, metagraphica said:

These maps are always terrible.   7" inches in shown for "3 WSW Franklin" in SE CT was reported at 6:26am during the heaviest snow.  It snowed for another 3+ hours in that location.  I finished at 8.9" - 15 miles due south of there.

Agree

Our area usually gets shafted by an early and/or Winthrop sewage plant measurement that gets propagated in media. But Boston actually got a representative measurement this time.

I just put the map up for a synoptic visual.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Nice round numbers on this one. 

4.0”/0.30”

So even up here we managed 13:1. 

4.1” final here. Sad panda. 

Got into some good deformation snow for a bit this morning, but it was transient. 

I figured 4-6” for PWM because of the shape of the coastline on this one, but still hurts to see the waste water treatment plant pushing a foot.

• Like 1

Just now, wxsniss said:

Agree

Our area usually gets shafted by an early and/or Winthrop sewage plant measurement that gets propagated in media. But Boston actually got a representative measurement this time.

I just put the map up for a synoptic visual.

Oh deer island supposedly had 5” at like noon. Lmao. Can you imagine if they were official?

10 minutes ago, metagraphica said:

There are humans digging through the hundreds of reports and updating that map as fast as they can. They actually take hours to put together if there are a lot of reports.

Since plenty of this fell after CoCoRaHS report times, they have to wait to tomorrow anyway for an event total map.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Good lord that is typical.  I ended up with about 3.5 inches. Cement then a powder puff on top. Drive in any direction and the snow immediately gets deeper.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Tell that to March 21, 2018

Ha I actually was looking through charts of that event last night when Hoth was trying to remember the date of a similar event with runaway convective processes.

Yeah (also in response to @40/70 Benchmark) this was not an easy forecast at all, and I definitely was nervous of a Messenger shuffle as guidance started favoring the easternmost low last evening that we had previously minimized as convection-driven. I was steady all week with 3-6/4-8 across eastern SNE that I mostly attributed to advection from a deepening surface low, but those thoughts did not reflect the bigger story of the event which ended being that nearly stationary fronto band overnight.

• Like 1