Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 7 Two-Headed Coastal Obs

40/70 Benchmark

3 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Just finished snowblowing.  Didn't seem all that fluffy as I thought, but that's probably because I waited too long to clear the driveway, so the bottom layer was melting onto the pavement making for a not so clean pass in some areas.

That happened to me shoveling at the end....I was wasting a bunch of time figuring out what was wrong with my snowblower that by the time I was shoveling at the end, things were starting to compact a little bit. The first 75% I shoveled was blower powder but then near the end it was seeming a little denser with having more trouble scraping the bottom layer off the driveway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Thanks for the detailed post. I’ve always despised the model snow maps (or clown maps as I call them) and this is another great description of why they stink. They are fun to look at for sure…but they do often cause a lot of confusion and often inflate expectations compared to usual. 

Glad to share my thoughts and I absolutely agree!

I still can't believe Pivotal requires payment for a product that hasn't been tested (Kuchera).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Thanks for the detailed post. I’ve always despised the model snow maps (or clown maps as I call them) and this is another great description of why they stink. They are fun to look at for sure…but they do often cause a lot of confusion and often inflate expectations compared to usual. 

Except for today, ironically enough lol.

but in general, sure ...

Kuchie maps have a lot of issues up here because they’re based on sfc temps and assume higher ratios the colder and colder your 2m temp gets. It’s really a lazy first estimate on snow totals. We know how you can be frigid at the surface in a SWFE, yet it’s pushing freezing at 750mb and your snow ends up 9:1. Or Scoot today creeped up near 32° for a bit, but being under that band he was getting massive growth with that lift in the DGZ so he’s pulling off good ratios despite relatively warm temps. 

14 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

just saw a report from Blue Hills of 15.2, thats gotta be the max so far?

was just going to ask who came in the highest, don't like how they do the text bulletins now, unless they moved to a different place, used to be easy to read, highest to lowest per cty, had to skim through, seems like norfolk cty and windam cty got the goods for the most part, ended with 3.5" on the dot on the table, but old place in Waterbury had close to 6, more further SE into that fronto band. saw a report from I think killingly of 13.2? I don't remember if that's correct but that area had some 12+ totals

2 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

What are people here doing wrong with their measurements vs. the "official' ones from the NWS final tallies? More than not the official numbers are lower than the ones we give.

Sometimes it is as simple as putting the wrong end of the yard stick down to the base so that instead of reading 13" it reads 23".

• Haha 3

Just now, klw said:

Sometimes it is as simple as putting the wrong end of the yard stick down to the base so that instead of reading 13" it reads 23".

people should take advantage of the skywarn classes they offer, I took it many years ago to be a spotter and go through the proper way to measure, all weather parameters not just depth, how often to clean, LE, etc, pretty interesting little class.

21 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

was just going to ask who came in the highest, don't like how they do the text bulletins now, unless they moved to a different place, used to be easy to read, highest to lowest per cty, had to skim through, seems like norfolk cty and windam cty got the goods for the most part, ended with 3.5" on the dot on the table, but old place in Waterbury had close to 6, more further SE into that fronto band. saw a report from I think killingly of 13.2? I don't remember if that's correct but that area had some 12+ totals

The PNS reports are always high to low, which text bulletins are you referencing?

I'm looking back at 2/7/21 almost the same report, you were on the outside fringe. 3.1" that storm for you.

31 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

Your old place must have had more than 6". I had about 10" and I'm on the NW side of town.