Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 7 Two-Headed Coastal Obs

40/70 Benchmark

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You're right, let me forget about how I got porked for snowfall, grab the kids, go sledding and watch its wonderful life...oh wait, they are in Africa for another month. :lol:

Wait, you are complaining that you are alone? I haven't been alone in years.

May I recommend...

Drugs?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, BuildingScienceWx said:

It's pretty sad at this point. We're on a side road near the top of Dover Hill Road. We were there for Xmas week and saw our measly 4" bullet proof pack slowly melt away. I'd expect 30"+ by this time up there.

Agree 

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Snowing pretty hard last hour in Bedford mass . 

looks like 7” 

Pretty decent bands in metro-west the last hour....not like the PYM stuff, but still solidly moderate to maybe marginally heavy at times

Jan7_1008amRadatr.gif

I will never again fall prey to HRRR/RAP micromanagement!

Yeah it was a tricky storm to forecast. The Euro/RGEM/NAM also slipped down yesterday evening as emphasis on the easternmost low increased, giving some credence to the HRRR/RAP downtrends.

The big driver of 6+ amounts despite the dominance of the easternmost low was that nearly stationary 700 mb frontogenic band overnight, and while there was evidence for it (CoastalWx's posts yesterday), no guidance had it stationary for so many hours with significant minima north and south.

Had this system consolidated a surface low closer to the vorticity emerging from Virginia, with better conveyor mechanics, totals would have been more uniform and higher across the board.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I honestly should move to the south shore.

#uckit

Funny you say that Ray. Being a long time lurker and enjoying reading you through they years, I though that same thing yesterday. My area always seems to do pretty well, if I could be a bit further to the west and north toward 495 that might be a bit better, but I usually don't have many complaints in this location. 

Just now, WalpoleJoe said:

Funny you say that Ray. Being a long time lurker and enjoying reading you through they years, I though that same thing yesterday. My area always seems to do pretty well, if I could be a bit further to the west and north toward 495 that might be a bit better, but I usually don't have many complaints in this location. 

I've been really fortunate in Holliston since moving here. Managed several jackpots/near jackpots. But knowing the area very well I am aware that the worm can turn easily the other way. My cousins grew up here, so I was here a lot as a kid.

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Pretty decent bands in metro-west the last hour....not like the PYM stuff, but still solidly moderate to maybe marginally heavy at times

Jan7_1008amRadatr.gif

doesn't look like much on that radar but we still have low viz moderate snow here.   viz between 1/4 and 1/2 I think and decent snow growth, but not spectactular