• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
OBS and nowcast for a widespread 2-6" event significant impact event, mainly midnight-Noon Friday morning January 7, 2022

wdrag

13 minutes ago, wdrag said:

I am definitely thinking HREF is the best...  in short range. However not perfect. It lagged the past two events and yesterdays 12z is below. AXIS excellent but amounts a little low, probably due to banding,

Maybe also incorrect snow to liquid ratios? I'm not sure how accurate the measured liquid precipitation values are, but NYC stations aren't reporting huge numbers. They're all around 0.4". So if HREF is using 10:1, that matches up really well with those maps.

Looks like about 6" here.  Testament to all the monster storms of the 2000s/2010s that I didn't even measure.  I've turned into my parents/grandparents who poo-pooed every "storm" in the 80s (other than showing respect for 2/83), having the 60s and late 70s still fresh in their minds.

The snow was definitely more dense and difficult to shovel than expected (yeah, I know, advancing age), but seriously the bottom inch was liquid slush.  Didn't seem like the ground would have been warm enough for that to happen.

It must have really accumulated impressively for awhile.  Sanitation is here no earlier than 5AM yet almost all the accumulation was on top of the tossed lids rather than under.  When I observed it at 6AM I thought "moderately-heavy" but must have been better than I thought.

Anyway, enjoy the snow everyone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Maybe also incorrect snow to liquid ratios? I'm not sure how accurate the measured liquid precipitation values are, but NYC stations aren't reporting huge numbers. They're all around 0.4". So if HREF is using 10:1, that matches up really well with those maps.

I tried the look up... couldn't quickly find what we both wanted to know.

Still... there is no question this HREF is a good model.  I also think the Canadian did well... NAM3K, not so good  through the day cycles yesterday...actually disappointing. 

Thought the NWS and other forecasts did well - I'm sure there were some misses, but no significant busts I've seen. Not worth pasting the full list yet, IMO, as it's very preliminary, but it looks like a fairly uniform 4-6" in most of SNJ/CNJ/NNJ, except for Sussex/Warren/Morris, which were more like 2-4", as expected, and most of E PA was in the 3-5" range, except the Poconos/Lehigh Valley, which were more like 2-3". NYC/LI/CT were more like 5-8" with the winner looking like LGA Airport at 8.4" (still snowing on E LI /CT though).

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?new&prod=XXXPNSPHI&wfo=phi

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&product=PNS&issuedby=OKX

54 minutes ago, lee59 said:

The areas of black top and concrete must still be fairly mild in temperature as they seem to have about half of what is on car tops and grass.

Temp was 35 degrees at my house last night before the snow started so ground temps were above freezing, hence the much higher accumulations on the colder surfaces. Had 6-7 inches on the cars, picnic table, etc but only about 3-4 inches on the sidewalk/driveway. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

Temp was 35 degrees at my house last night before the snow started so ground temps were above freezing, hence the much higher accumulations on the colder surfaces. Had 6-7 inches on the cars, picnic table, etc but only about 3-4 inches on the sidewalk/driveway. 

Absolutely. Same thing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Still light snow here. Waiting for it to stop to get a final measurement. 

..snow lighting.

..skies brightening. 

29.7*.

1 snow stick has 7.5..the other 8.0..

Final call..8" here in eastport. 

• Like 2