Weathernoob335
Jan 6/7 "Event" and obs

stormtracker

6” IMBY in Union bridge 

5” - my brothers house in Ellicott city 

6.5” - my parents house in Rockland NY

8” - my brothers house in Rye NY

12”- my buddy in Dorchester MA

Rather large area of 5-12” from VA to MA. Successful storm, no doubt. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jayyy said:

6” IMBY in Union bridge 

5” - my brothers house in Ellicott city 

6.5” - my parents house in Rockland NY

8” - my brothers house in Rye NY

12”- my buddy in Dorchester MA

Rather large area of 5-12” from VA to MA. Successful storm, no doubt. 

Hey...I have family in Rye NH!  Small place but beautiful New England beach town.  Been visiting my cousins there around July 4th every year since I was a kid. 

ETA: Never mind! I see its NY you have family. lol  

1 hour ago, Kay said:

Hey it's jnis, long time no see. Hope you've been able to keep going with music. It's really sucked. But thank goodness for outdoor gigs. Usually don't look fwd to winter passing, but.

end banter

3.25" here. Great event. Technically snow on snow but there wasn't much remaining of the previous 3" snowfall.

Hey, 

Good to hear from you. We were fortunate to be able to perform all of our regular venues outdoors with the tent set-ups. We squeezed a gig in last night :)

I just finished clearing 4” of powder from my driveway- so much easier from the slop we dealt with last year.

1 minute ago, leesburg 04 said:

Just went out for a walk, pretty interesting snow depth difference from grass to pavement. Almost 1/3 when compared...wonder why the cold smoke fluffy dendrites falling at 3am didn't accumulate all that great on the pavement?

At least here in Takoma Park it was in the low 40s yesterday and I don’t think it dropped to freezing until around when the snow started.  

1 hour ago, gopper said:

4.5 in Towson.

Woke up a few times to see the progression from NO to WOAH to oh watch it go away.

North Balti Zen might have done better at his old place with this one?

Can confirm. Just barely south of Towson and I had 4 inches exactly just before I went to bed at 3:25am as the death band was starting to wind down. It looks like we got another 30 min-1h of fairly good rates after that so 4.5 is what I think we have outside here.

7 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Just went out for a walk, pretty interesting snow depth difference from grass to pavement. Almost 1/3 when compared...wonder why the cold smoke fluffy dendrites falling at 3am didn't accumulate all that great on the pavement?

Same here. Hard surfaces took forever to cave last night. About half as much on them this morning as was on elevated surfaces. My guess is the marginal temps at the start and the filtered sun they absorbed during the day. It surprised me.

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I rode the GFS train to frowntown, but if I'm being honest, I'm OK with 2.75" after going over 9" on Monday.

12" on the season at the end of the first week of January isn't shabby at all!

2nd best start to a winter by that metric (through 1/7) since moving to my house in 2009.

1. 09/10 - 22.0"
  2. 21/22 - 11.6"
  3. 13/14 - 6.5"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I woke up to steady snow after 1am. Noticed it stuck everywhere early on except in the streets. Probably the roads had warmed up as air temps were above freezing during the day. 

16 minutes ago, jnis said:

Hey, 

Good to hear from you. We were fortunate to be able to perform all of our regular venues outdoors with the tent set-ups. We squeezed a gig in last night :)

I just finished clearing 4” of powder from my driveway- so much easier from the slop we dealt with last year.

Totally agree about shoveling snow this week. I had outpatient surgery yesterday and it was still super-simple sweeping snow off the cars and clearing driveway. 

Temp at dawn here today was 27, then 25 by 8am and 24 at 11am. 

17 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

As someone who was out there and awake at that time, I can attest to that. Grass/cars were accumulating very easily but it took at least an hour for the roads/pavement to start caving in, and even then it was spotty (one side of pavement accumulating, the other side not so much initially.) As others have said, it's probably due to the temps during the prior hours being above freezing 

21 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

The contrast here between Monday and last night, when I woke up to watch it fall between 1:30 and 4, was pretty striking. Heavy, wet snow on Monday overcame daylight and 60’s the afternoon before to efficiently stick on roads. Fluff during the dead of night did not. 

18 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

2nd best start to a winter by that metric (through 1/7) since moving to my house in 2009.

1. 09/10 - 22.0"
  2. 21/22 - 11.6"
  3. 13/14 - 6.5"

Not that most of us need reminding...but this shows how early-winter snow isn't usually a thing around here.

I'm not particularly interested in a winter than runs into mid-March, but I'd certainly take and earlier 2013-2014!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I always assume a little compaction if we get snow overnight and it's at least a couple hours until I can measure. I usually wait until I see other measurements from close by and see if they're in line with mine on the margins.

I'm obviously not a spotter or anything. :lol:

Yeah it's not going to be exact by any means but certainly close enough!

Usually I see a lower amount on the railings where the sun does shine.  Not today.
The covered fire pit, however is painted mild steel and is a great sink for insolation and is showing shrinkage and slight dripping.  I think I see our first icicle of the season forming over 2cm!

These events, when they happen mid March, OTOH, such a big difference.  Sounds like rain outside as the water dripping into the gutters is very noticeable.

At times when bigger gusts rip through the spruce line, it looks like softball sized flakes coming down and as they break up in the descent it's indeed very flizzard-like.

This storm came like a thief in the night!  I hit the sheets at 0:45 and there was a dusting.  Awake at 06:15 and there's close to five inches and it's over.  Checked the cams and there was some pretty good rates from 2-4 AM.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Not that most of us need reminding...but this shows how early-winter snow isn't usually a thing around here.

I'm not particularly interested in a winter than runs into mid-March, but I'd certainly take and earlier 2013-2014!

I think a lot of people got biased/skewed by the string of Dec 5th snow and then perhaps to an extent the Dec 2009 storm. December just is not a big winter month for us - for snow at least. 

• Like 2

Last night was a blast! Jebwalking for 2 hours with my daughters before and during that “Pantera” snow band. Lol. Heaviest snow I’ve seen for sure since 2016. This one was extra special though. A champagne powder pummeling is not something we see a lot of in the DMV. It piled up in a heartbeat. Finished with 4.5” (once the snow hole collapsed). Already pumped for the next one.  Let’s go!! :bike:

5D577A5F-B8F8-4AF3-99B8-B4B7E993266E.jpeg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, gopper said:

4.5 in Towson.

Woke up a few times to see the progression from NO to WOAH to oh watch it go away.

North Balti Zen might have done better at his old place with this one?

Probably. Both events this year, as it turns out. Hoff and Mappy assure me this is the dreaded variance and I've made the better long-term play but...

• Like 1

Finally made it to Canaan.  Left at 7am and made it around 11 but we stopped a couple of times and got hung by the below.  We could barely see Timberline from the road when we drove by - snow blowing everywhere.  Eyeing about 12" on the deck  - will measure and post some pics later.

As we were getting off 48 onto 32 we had to wait for a jeep to get pulled out.  Looks like they came off 48 too fast and slide right across 32 into the woods.  Looked like a bunch of young guys who probably came up to enjoy some fresh powder - bummer.

Other friends of ours also drove up last night and made it to their rental house but couldn't get in the driveway.  One SUIV ended up in a ditch but they got it out this morning.

• Like 4

There still was a bit of a middle finger/screw zone last night, its just the ratios filled it in somewhat. NE MD (Cecil county) and northern DE had 2.5-3.5" while places at their same latitude to both the west and east did better. The comparable amounts down the west shore of the Bay into DC may have been part of that as well.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

There still was a bit of a middle finger/screw zone last night, its just the ratios filled it in somewhat. NE MD (Cecil county) and northern DE had 2.5-3.5" while places at their same latitude to both the west and east did better. The comparable amounts down the west shore of the Bay into DC may have been part of that as well.  

If that knucklehead Vice Regent got more than me then this storm sucked more than the WTFs have the last 4 games

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Probably. Both events this year, as it turns out. Hoff and Mappy assure me this is the dreaded variance and I've made the better long-term play but...

FWIW, per my winter records. This is my 9th winter in Parkton. My average over the last 8 years is 30.7". I've had one sub-10 year, and the highest was 13/14 with 70". 

Take our word for it. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

@TerpWeather made a nice map that shows it

• Like 1