Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 6/7 "Event" and obs

stormtracker

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

the late upgrade to a Warning was a bonus. Don't tell @Maestrobjwa that I finally got a warning (only had to move)...

Trai-tor! Trai-tor! :lol: (ironically enough, by the official record, yes we did get a warning down here on Monday...just not north of the airport, lol) But yes congrats indeed on your first higher elevation snow! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I think this worked out pretty well. 963520397_ChillOut.png.760970ff920ef7266acee71def56d794.png

I was a little low in places. I should have listened to @WxUSAF and extended the 3-6” area south a little. Could have extended the “a lot” zone northeast some as well.  

Yeah, but was that your first preliminary early call, your first call, the last first call, or your absolute final call after you phoned a friend and triple-dog-dared??  Scoring depends on which version of the map it was!! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Hey what did my other Balt. City peeps measure last night? I went to bed around 3:30 or so so I didn't get a  measurement before any compaction. Measured 4.0" even on the steps but 3 on the landing. What did you guys measure?

It was an awesome few hours! Snow-globe fatties :D

4.5 here in Northeast Baltimore. Went to bed around midnight and it hadn’t started yet. Woke up at 5 and it was already over. Came in hot and heavy!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah, but was that your first preliminary early call, your first call, the last first call, or your absolute final call after you phoned a friend and triple-dog-dared??  Scoring depends on which version of the map it was!! :lol:

That was my super secret triple dog dare version. I would have posted it sooner but I had to wait for the fire department to get it unstuck. 

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I love this link. Use it all the time to corroborate. I was sound asleep during the heaviest and woke up a bit late after wind kicked up. Got a bunch of measurements between 3.8 - 4.3. I'll go with 4". Right in the pocket of all surrounding obs. 9.5" in a week in mid Jan with decent temps is rare AF and I very much appreciate the anomaly. 

• Like 8

11/6 Swanton.  Windy AF, in the negative single digits consistently.  Upslope cranking with the sun trying to shine through.

We did not hit the high end totals here but too windy to be confident in any measurement.  I am estimating around 6".  No doubt much heavier totals close by in WV, this was their event if you ask me.

Bonus, for the first time all season it feels like legit deep winter here.

• Like 2

Fingers crossed it stays below freezing all day.

Gorgeous bluebird conditions. Sunny, 2 inches of fresh powder, barely a breath of wind.

A nice change from our Florida vacation. And quite glad no new trees down or power/road problems after seeing absolute carnage on I-64 on the way into town yesterday.

Kids are loving it out there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jnis said:

4.5”. Nice event

Hey it's jnis, long time no see. Hope you've been able to keep going with music. It's really sucked. But thank goodness for outdoor gigs. Usually don't look fwd to winter passing, but.

end banter

3.25" here. Great event. Technically snow on snow but there wasn't much remaining of the previous 3" snowfall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

2.8” new on 0.20” precip in Falls Church, so good ratios.  

I’ll push back on some of the model commentary.  At least around here, the GFS had way too much precipitation.  The HRRR was more realistic except for a few runs last night that went too dry.  The NAM and Euro were the best on QPF in the DC area.

I rode the GFS train to frowntown, but if I'm being honest, I'm OK with 2.75" after going over 9" on Monday.

12" on the season at the end of the first week of January isn't shabby at all!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I rode the GFS train to frowntown, but if I'm being honest, I'm OK with 2.75" after going over 9" on Monday.

12" on the season at the end of the first week of January isn't shabby at all!

Snow on snow, dude.  Covered up some bare spots and it will stay a little longer with temps today.  One week in Jan and a foot of snow?  Hell yes.  Given the last couple years?  F*ck yeah.  This week beats my last two years COMBINED!!!

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

If you really want to know how much snow you got, yes you need a ruler and take several measurements!
What looks like a solid 5" here turned out to be less as seen here:

I went around and took several measurements.  This area doesn't get sun and is in a decent wind shadow.

I always assume a little compaction if we get snow overnight and it's at least a couple hours until I can measure. I usually wait until I see other measurements from close by and see if they're in line with mine on the margins.

I'm obviously not a spotter or anything. :lol:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, H2O said:

Snow on snow, dude.  Covered up some bare spots and it will stay a little longer with temps today.  One week in Jan and a foot of snow?  Hell yes.  Given the last couple years?  F*ck yeah.  This week beats my last two years COMBINED!!!

No doubt! I'm not complaining - just that I rode the GFS hard and really wanted it to verify. As it is, I'll absolutely take a foot of snow in one week in the beginning of January. as you said...this is better than anything we've had in the last couple years, and honestly it's about as wintry as we can expect for an extended period around here!

• Like 2