Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 6/7 "Event" and obs

stormtracker

9 minutes ago, jayyy said:

I witnessed some doozies - the October storm, among others. Lake effect events there are always the best (2-3” per hour rates and 1+ foot of snow within mere hours) but we also saw a fair share of solid synoptic snowfalls during the winters of 06-11 from inland runners. Amazing winters up there. I don’t miss those bitter cold Canadian winds though.   

Don't blame you. I lived in Yonkers and then NYC for seven years. Even that was almost too cold for me when the polar vortex settled. I'd tolerate it for the snow though. NYC was significantly easier than here in DC. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rjvanals said:

That storm was well forecasted a few days out on the local news in Syracuse. If I remember correctly initially the thought was more towards Oswego/Jefferson County line would be the bullseye but it turned out to be Parish/Pulaski in the central part of Oswego County. Great storm. 

I guess you don't have to drive all that far to get to where it shifts haha. 

1 minute ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

The narrowness of those bands were endlessly fascinating to me as a kid. I couldn't grasp how such huge snowstorms could fit into those tiny little bands. 

It truly is an incredible phenomenon. 1-2 feet of snow in a given area - drive 15 mins in a given direction, and you’d find bare ground. Wild. 

The tools they use at NWS to pinpoint their location and intensity are amazing and vastly different than analyzing snowfall from a low pressure system. I freakin’ love reading their forecast discussions up there . 

1 minute ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Don't blame you. I lived in Yonkers and then NYC for seven years. Even that was almost too cold for me when the polar vortex settled. I'd tolerate it for the snow though. NYC was significantly easier than here in DC. 

Absolutely. Downstate New Yorker born and raised here. I’m from a town called Stony Point, NY. Lived there from childhood through college, when I went off to Buffalo (it was a snowy and cold state school and far away from my hometown) Saw some absolutely incredible nor’easters over the years living in the NW NYC suburbs. PD 1 and 2, 96, Boxing Day, the infamous Christmas storm that featured heavy rain to over a foot of snow within roughly 6 hours… the list is long. 

I miss the snowier winters up there, but the snow was almost a given. The chase from living down here is part of the fun! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jayyy said:

Absolutely. Downstate New Yorker born and raised here. I’m from a town called Stony Point, NY. Lived there from childhood through college, when I went off to Buffalo (it was a snowy and cold state school and far away from my hometown) Saw some absolutely incredible nor’easters over the years living in the NW NYC suburbs. PD 1 and 2, 96, Boxing Day, the infamous Christmas storm that featured heavy rain to over a foot of snow within roughly 6 hours… the list is long. 

I miss the snowier winters up there, but the snow was almost a given. The chase from living down here is part of the fun! 

I think I'd feel like it was a given if I lived in Central Mass or something. In New York, there were plenty of misses. For me it's just a little too tough down here. Ellicott City was manageable because topologically it made for good rates and dynamics. I friggin' hate this DC snow hole stuff. It really is a swamp of sinking air. I guess it's better than Raleigh or something. 

It’s too bad we didn’t have a big ole HP stationed off the coast of Maine to slow things down or anything to capture the low off the coast. This would have been absolutely epic if it were a longer duration event. 

Extremely satisfied, however. No complaints. Warning level snowfall verified with great rates.  Been a long time since we’ve seen 2 warning level snow events within 5 days in these parts. Crazy part? The pattern looks even juicier from MLK day on.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

31, snow, 2"....this is winding down quickly...i think the only remaining question is whether I make 2.25 lol

My fiancé is on 16th and Columbia. I'm just glad she gets to telework and wake up to a couple inches. We're going to look for places in the city this summer--NOT looking forward to it come winter. Being up here in CC is like day and night. We're probably going to double that total tonight. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jayyy said:

It’s too bad we didn’t have a big ole HP stationed off the coast of Maine to slow things down or anything to capture the low off the coast. This would have been absolutely epic if it were a longer duration event. 

Extremely satisfied, however. No complaints. Warning level snowfall verified with great rates.  Been a long time since we’ve seen 2 warning level snow events within 5 days in these parts. Crazy part? The pattern looks even juicier from MLK day on.    

Not quite Feb. 5 & 9 in 2010, but I'll take it!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

I think I'd feel like it was a given if I lived in Central Mass or something. In New York, there were plenty of misses. For me it's just a little too tough down here. Ellicott City was manageable because topologically it made for good rates and dynamics. I friggin' hate this DC snow hole stuff. It really is a swamp of sinking air. I guess it's better than Raleigh or something. 

That’s true. However, I was typically far enough northwest to see frozen precipitation during marginal events. Snow to ice was relatively common in those setups. 287/87 is typically the battle zone in that area. There were multiple events each winter where nyc and LI would be rain as it snowed 6+ in my neck of the woods. Elevation really takes off once you get 40+ miles away from NYC. New England usually did fair better 8/10 winters however. 

It’s crazy how much 10-20-30 miles means down here in Maryland / DC. Ellicott city versus DC versus Manchester in such a small geographic radius. It can be frustrating for sure, but at least it’s fun to track!

• Like 1

Parkville(NE Baltimore). Decided to sleep through this one, expecting a 1-2 inch event. My brain must be in tune because I randomly woke up at 1 AM and it seemed to be right around when it started, then randomly woke up about 15 minutes ago go heavy snowfall. I haven't gotten out of bed but just by eyeing it out the window, I'd guess there's a solid 3+ out there. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jayyy said:

That’s true. However, I was typically far enough northwest to see frozen precipitation during marginal events. Snow to ice was relatively common in those setups. 287/87 is typically the battle zone in that area. There were multiple events each winter where nyc and LI would be rain as it snowed 6+ in my neck of the woods. Elevation really takes off once you get 40+ miles away from NYC. New England usually did fair better 8/10 winters however. 

It’s crazy how much 10-20-30 miles means down here in Maryland / DC. Ellicott city versus DC versus Manchester in such a small geographic radius. It can be frustrating for sure, but at least it’s fun to track!

The geography in this area is definitely crazy. I'm not in one of the NW spots, but I'm JUST west of 95 in NE Baltimore and I've felt very fortunate over the years because I'm usually barely NW of the battle zone for precip types in bigger storms. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jayyy said:

It's funny, when I was in NYC, the north shore of Long Island seemed to cash in on everything. If you snoop around the NYC thread you'll hear the old timers talking about how different things are now. It might have just been a lucky stretch of years, but damn, they would absolutely crush us 3/5 times because of Lows heading right over the benchmark. 

The difference in geographical significance is absolutely true. In the city, the dynamics were really tight because you were on the water, and Harlem (where I was) would often do better than Brooklyn. But overall, you'd have to go really far inland on marginal events. That blizzard in 2017 was absolutely soul crushing. It was supposed to be the storm of my lifetime, but within 24 hours the track tucked in just enough to turn us to sleet after about 7 inches. You had to go at least 40 miles inland to see all snow. Here in MD it can be a matter of being in the District or being where I am. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve25 said:

The geography in this area is definitely crazy. I'm not in one of the NW spots, but I'm JUST west of 95 in NE Baltimore and I've felt very fortunate over the years because I'm usually barely NW of the battle zone for precip types in bigger storms. 

Feel the same way and I was in Ellicott City. We had some great dynamics in that little microclimate. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

It's funny, when I was in NYC, the north shore of Long Island seemed to cash in on everything. If you snoop around the NYC thread you'll hear the old timers talking about how different things are now. It might have just been a lucky stretch of years, but damn, they would absolutely crush us 3/5 times because of Lows heading right over the benchmark. 

The difference in geographical significance is absolutely true. In the city, the dynamics were really tight because you were on the water, and Harlem (where I was) would often do better than Brooklyn. But overall, you'd have to go really far inland on marginal events. That blizzard in 2017 was absolutely soul crushing. It was supposed to be the storm of my lifetime, but within 24 hours the track tucked in just enough to turn us to sleet after about 7 inches. You had to go at least 40 miles inland to see all snow. Here in MD it can be a matter of being in the District or being where I am. 

Long Island is a very tricky place to forecast. I’d argue one of the most difficult in the northeast. South shore and east end (forks) versus the north shore in Nassau county. I remember several storms where the north shore managed to stay all snow, while the Hampton got cold rain and sleet.  When Long Island manages to stay all snow, they get pummeled. It is ideally placed for bands off the Atlantic from benchmark lows. You can see it with this storm. Those deep greens and yellows off the shoreline heading due north for the island. Incredible. 

Hell, I moved only 25 mins north of my old house here in Maryland and the difference is night and day. DC is a crazy phenomenon of its own. So, so unlucky with dry air. 

• Like 2