Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 6/7 "Event" and obs

stormtracker

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Gaithersburg airport has the ceiling dropping and better returns overhead. Should be snowing within the hour across most of Montgomery County.

The line of non-virga snow hasn’t moved in hours. Most of this will be passing through by the time it snows enough to bring temps down and really start accumulating. Climo won out tonight. Just not our night. 

• Haha 4

Just now, Wetbulbs88 said:

The line of non-virga snow hasn’t moved in hours. Most of this will be passing through by the time it snows enough to bring temps down and really start accumulating. Climo won out tonight. Just not our night. 

Forecast never had gburg getting snow until 2amish

2 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Agreed.  I honestly was scratching my head on my latest measurement.  1.25" in 45 min.  Don't get me wrong, it is coming down nicely but I have seen heavier snow.

Flake size has gotten smaller from earlier in the evening but still accumulating well.

4 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Oh stop being a wet blanket…it’s going to snow plenty.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Agreed.  I honestly was scratching my head on my latest measurement.  1.25" in 45 min.  Don't get me wrong, it is coming down nicely but I have seen heavier snow.

Maximum fluff factor with this one.  With no wind, have had some really large agglomerates here for most of the event.

Even so, pretty sure I’ll end up with more  liquid than any model’s forecasted QPF.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Maximum fluff factor with this one.  With no wind, have had some really large agglomerates here for most of the event.

Even so, pretty sure I’ll end up with more  liquid than any model’s forecasted QPF.

Good point.   I wonder if models factor wind into their Kutchera outputs?

4 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Good point.   I wonder if models factor wind into their Kutchera outputs?

I think Evan Kuchera’s formula just uses temperature at various levels of the column to determine ratios.  Don’t believe wind is a component but maybe one of the pros here knows better.

• Thanks 1