Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 6/7 "Event" and obs

stormtracker

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I like what I am seeing now.  Reports to our SW show this is overperforming if anything.  That band ripping to our NW is a good thing...that banding riding along the jet was NOT supposed to be our snow.  The actual radar matches the sim radar from the GFS and Euro, both of which were decent to good for our area in general.  But the intensity of whats happening just to our NW shows what kind of environment we have for anyone that ends up in banding later on as the primary and upper level energy tracks across VA and we get into better lift.  If anything I am MORE optimistic right now than I was earlier.  

Oh and chill out.  

This.

we killed trying to get out to Canaan tonight - our friends who were over an hour ahead of us said trucks and cars were all over 48 including one semi sideways into a hill.   They were lucky to get behind a plow but still can't see anything - said it's the worse they have ever seen it.   I was looking forward to the hot tub while it was puking snow for our first storm in the new house - but we'll have to wait until the next one

What really sucks is our internet is down up there so we can't even watch the snow piling up on the cameras....snow will be still be there tomorrow....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gunny23 said:

we killed trying to get out to Canaan tonight - our friends who were over an hour ahead of us said trucks and cars were all over 48 including one semi sideways into a hill.   They were lucky to get behind a plow but still can't see anything - said it's the worse they have ever seen it.   I was looking forward to the hot tub while it was puking snow for our first storm in the new house - but we'll have to wait until the next one

What really sucks is our internet is down up there so we can't even watch the snow piling up on the cameras....snow will be still be there tomorrow....

Probably a smart move.  

• Like 3

Just now, gunny23 said:

As much as it sucks missing your first snow there, it was definitely the right call.  You’ll have plenty more chances to see snow (and get there safely).  And as least you’ll get snow here tonight.  I’ve missed a few trips to Deep Creek for a storm and it was 36 and rain here.  :) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gunny23 said:

It’s a smart move my friend. 

Just now, jayyy said:

Kind of curious to see what the 0z GFS shows (even if it’s too close for it) Heard NWS said to throw out all other guidance due to lack of digital snow ;)

Based on what I see from some of the radar obs, surface truth, and mesoanalysis, this one could actually give Some GFS totals once the banding gets going. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gunny23 said:

Drove up to Canaan years ago well before 48 got you anywhere near Davis…in an Elantra in a snowstorm. Multiple snowPlow assists. Drove into a lane on 48 that ended in a snow drift. Thank God i was on an upslope so i could reverse out and go up in the left lane. Then somehow did a power slide up Mount Storm. It was 36 and rain when i left NOVA. A great story because I survived which i wasn’t so sure of for a while lol.

• Like 2

Just now, DDweatherman said:

Based on what I see from some of the radar obs, surface truth, and mesoanalysis, this one could actually give Some GFS totals once the banding gets going. 

I like what I am seeing as well. Never hurts to see our storm overperforming to the SW of us. Moisture transport looks pretty solid as well.

Curious to see how the SLP evolves (track, strength) over the coming hours. We should know fairly early on whether or not the GFS is onto something or not