Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 6/7 "Event" and obs

stormtracker

53 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

You're on a bit of a panic this morning. Worst case scenario you get at least 2. I know the shutout on Monday was tough but your move to Monkton will benefit you in the long run. 

If you live in the DMV, being in the northern portion of the CWA will benefit you 8/10 times, if not more, on average. Just been a wonky start to the season. Moving up to Union Bridge from south of I-70 has been night and day for me the past few seasons. HighStakes is right - it’ll even out - and then some. Just continue to be patient :)   

Tonight’s setup is much better for WV/ NVA & NE MD and points NE, than it is for the 95 corridor and central MD. As Bob Chill has warned us of a multitude of times, these types of storms do not typically end with the DC to BAL corridor / central MD jackpotting. The mountains eat up precip from the initial wave and the coastal gets going too late, leaving the middle of the CWA relatively dry in the middle, sandwiched between the two areas of best lift.

We won’t know until the storms overhead, as models don’t always get the timing / placement right… but latest trends aren’t the greatest for 95. Models are bringing in the precip later And with less of a punch - neither of those scenarios help their outcome. 

If you’re expecting warning level snowfall, it’s more than likely you’ll be disappointed. However, if you’re cool with a solid few inches and a few hours of rippage, you’ll be satisfied. 

NWS’s call for 2-4” areawide with 5-6” lollies is a perfect call, IMO. No model will pinpoint exactly where these bands setup shop.  It’s best to be realistic in these setups. Clskins area will see more snow than Baltimore or owings mills or dc 9/10 times in these setups.  

If you want warning snowfall in this setup, hug the GFS tight. It keeps the initial slug of moisture together, keeps the column cool, etc. 3-6” areawide.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

This is making it over the mountains, right? :ph34r:

550D57AB-A8AF-4930-83E9-665A2CC81182.jpeg

You guys at least have the opportunity for having moisture thrown back your way. I have to pray this almost takes more of an east northeast trajectory otherwise we’re toast down here. And by the looks of the mesos don’t have the warm and fuzzies about over performing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

The thing is..the GFS is global.  I'd be kinda cautious vs the mesos

Exactly. And I think PSU made the point that, when it comes to globals, the Euro is much better picking out the banding features than the GFS. I pray the GFS is right, but I prayed it was right just before the last storm and I was sadly mistaken.

The more phasing becomes a factor the less well we do.  I think this is more of a system that just passes by to our south moving wsw-ene and keeps its precip shield intact as it moves over mountains and south of our area from west to east.  If we get stuck with it dying to our west and jumping to coast and reintensfying   then DC proper is in trouble .

• Like 2

Just now, osfan24 said:

Exactly. And I think PSU made the point that, when it comes to globals, the Euro is much better picking out the banding features than the GFS. I pray the GFS is right, but I prayed it was right just before the last storm and I was sadly mistaken.

Maybe the upgraded GFS is better at that

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Same here. GFS showed a better northern edge that turned out to be pure fantasy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

GFS had me and your old hood nailed perfectly this week. :lol:

7 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

The gfs actually did quite well handling that last storm… it was just a bit off on where that sharp cutoff would be. It had it further NW. otherwise, it handled the evolution of the system pretty well. Missed on the totals near I-70 and Richmond though  

With that being said, this setup is much different. Meso models are much more important for this type of setup when we’re talking about banding, transfer of energy to the coast, etc. GFS does well when it comes to handling one main area of low pressure tracking to our south. Not so much when we’re talking about two distinct areas of precip / lift and the interaction between them. The GFS tends to oversimplify things and see things much more uniformly, missing the nuances of miller b type storms. 

• Like 1