Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 6/7 "Event" and obs

stormtracker

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

If the GFS wins again I think we are really looking at end of times

I don't remember what the Euro showed in the final couple of runs leading up to the last storm, but did the GFS really win? It lead the way days leading into the storm that it would be coming much farther north and west than what most models showed and so it definitely won in that respect, but for my particular location, the totals were way overdone and it seemed like it had the general snow shield too far northwest than reality. I thought the 3k NAM did the best job showing the location of the cutoff, if I'm remembering correctly.

I'd love for the GFS to be right because it has that band right over me, but no other model is showing that to be the location of the band, and the GFS doesn't seem like the best model to use for that kind of detail anyway.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

My forecast for Winchester is 2-3”. That is a reasonable expectation and in all likelihood the most probable outcome. I’d also expect earlier start time and end time from what is modeled.

Good luck up that way. I feel a dud coming down in my neck of the woods. Starting off in the low 40s and the main piece of precip is going to traverse WV.

2 minutes ago, Rockem_sockem_connection said:

GFS has been great last 3 years. Kuchera is never great yet people still post that. 

-RSC

Is that a haiku?  Not sure I agree with Kuchera not being great -- I think its a good tool to use to evaluate but snowmaps (10:1, snow depth change, Kuchera) shouldn't be taken verbatim but rather evaluated as one piece of overall guidance.

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

Possibly... but its going to pack a punch I hope lol

mcd0036.gif

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0036.html

I like this part. 

Through 12-16Z, strengthening lower/mid tropospheric warm advection,
   beneath increasingly divergent mid/upper flow appears likely to
   contribute to a gradually consolidating and expanding area of
   moderate snow across a large portion of the Mid South.  It appears
   that the heaviest snow may become focused just ahead of a frontal
   wave, across parts of western into middle Tennessee, where models
   suggest that lift will become maximized in the dendritic growth
   zone, near the nose of the better low-level Gulf moisture return
   (including precipitable water on the order of .50-.70 inches).  This
   may include a couple hour period with snow rates of 1-2+ inches per
   hour.

Is that a haiku?  Not sure I agree with Kuchera not being great -- I think its a good tool to use to evaluate but snowmaps (10:1, snow depth change, Kuchera) shouldn't be taken verbatim but rather evaluated as one piece of overall guidance.

Agree. In an event like this Kuchera may even be low.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nj2va said:

That's why I like kuchera. Comparison to the mundane 10:1 can provide some really good insight into a lot of small details that affect our ratios. Any time kuchera is over 10:1, it's a very useful indication of good snow growth, good column, and good surface. You need all 3 to exceed 10:1 here usually. When kuchera has high totals but surface is running the razor edge with temps, I'll toss it. Same with some sort of warm nose anywhere near the DGZ. High ratio killer even if kuchera says don't worry.

Like all wx model output, useful tools galore but if you don't understand how to properly use them, being useful flips to harmful with decision making. 

• Like 6