Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 6/7 "Event" and obs

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I would gladly take that .4 in Smithsburg.  Would probably translate into 5 to 7" with the expected ratios.

Plus you have cold ground not to mention snow on snow, surface frigidization is in full play! Every snowflake will stick, from flake 1.

• Weenie 1

Super long range 00z HRRR QPF map shows the banding potential the Twitter Mets highlighted earlier.  This run of the HRRR puts one basically right along I-95.
I’d take this run in a heartbeat.  
image.thumb.png.4cc17646414408f4a81e557e897cf6d3.png

The place between bands is a scary, scary place to be though. But I guess that’s what’s bound to happen to someone. Cross your fingers…
849ca5939dd6c2dd278714e18e75c499.jpg

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

The place between bands is a scary, scary place to be though. But I guess that’s what’s bound to happen to someone. Cross your fingers…

Yea - that scares me.  I'm right a the sw tip of the hole.  Hope for everyone's sake who lives in that hole the transfer takes place in a better way that avoids any holes

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Yeah, agree.  At least we’ll have better than 10:1 ratios though.

In banding you will. In the subsidence zone between bands not likely. Typically you get bad snow growth in those zones and low ratios. So the ~.2 area is likely just ~2”. The .3-.35 area could be 5-6”. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, WVsnowlover said:

No snow on the ground for the NW crew unfortunately Jebman.

I am sorry about that, but you should get some from this system, as well as possibly from an anafrontal setup over the weekend or shortly thereafter.

I am pulling hard for snow for the entire Washington Metropolitan Region this winter! This includes the northern and northwestern crews as well as the mountain areas such as Deep Creek Lake.

• Like 3

I’ll open the zoom at 9:20and we can watch the high resolution models come in. I don’t think there is much use in the Gfs/ggem at this point. We know the basic Synoptics and the euro is the only global with any chance of nailing banding features which is what we’re doing now. But I’m not staying up that late. 

Use same link. 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t take the Hrrr banding locations overly seriously. 3k NAM and  Euro had heavier precip in the location the Hrrr has the screw zone. It’s clear that the eastern shore and the far west crew will do best generally. Between NoVA, DC, and central MD there are going to be relative winners and losers.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Ooof.  Looks like I get the hairy pickle on that map.  Can’t win them all.  

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

I wouldn’t take the Hrrr banding locations overly seriously. 3k NAM and  Euro had heavier precip in the location the Hrrr has the screw zone. It’s clear that the eastern shore and the far west crew will do best generally. Between NoVA, DC, and central MD there are going to be relative winners and losers.

I probably wouldn’t take the exact location seriously until within 12 hours on any guidance. But in general we know the risk is high of that subsidence zone being somewhere through our area. But exactly where is a nowcast thing. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

It looks like a uniform 0.2”-0.25” through most of the area (outside mountains and far eastern areas) with exception of NE MD with 0.1”+.

Closer to the coast is what I saw.  Not much discernible difference other than that.  Pretty distinct screw zone from NE Md up into souther pa like you said.