Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 6/7 "Event" and obs

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

it’s not complicated. the majority of the public doesn’t like snow. lots of people have to go to work, no matter what. for them the higher end is a worst case scenario.

the NWS serves the public, not weenies.

This.  For most people (even those who like snow), the "worst" case scenario would potentially cause serious travel issues, closures, etc.  I also think most people might not be as familiar with what exactly a percentile (like 90th) necessarily means.  Not much different than CWG using the terms "boom" or "bust" in addition to expected amount.

5 minutes ago, Warm Nose said:

"Reasonable Worst Case Scenario" WTF is that exactly? Accuracy by obfuscation?

Goodness that's bad. Worst case by whose standards? Does that mean that's the minimum or maximum? I'd be embarrassed as a met to put that out.

These maps are mainly for probabilistic usage for EM's and decision makers. They can be disseminated to the public to convey highest and lowest potentials, but that is typically not advised and we stick with the range of the 45-55th percentile outcomes with the 50% as the expected. 

• Like 13

21 minutes ago, Warm Nose said:

"Reasonable Worst Case Scenario" WTF is that exactly? Accuracy by obfuscation?

Goodness that's bad. Worst case by whose standards? Does that mean that's the minimum or maximum? I'd be embarrassed as a met to put that out.

It's primarily used by DOTs and emergency management. NWS has partner focus groups to work on labeling and delivery of products to certain entities.

4 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

These maps are mainly for probabilistic usage for EM's and decision makers. They can be disseminated to the public to convey highest and lowest potentials, but that is typically not advised and we stick with the range of the 45-55th percentile outcomes with the 50% as the expected. 

So it's not for the general public that generally doesn't like snow. Thanks for clarifying!

I guess it wasn't so simple.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

It's primarily used by DOTs and emergency management. NWS has partner focus groups to work on labeling and delivery of products to certain entities.

If the message is confusing and requires an explanation, it's poorly worded. The inverse map doesn't say 'Best case scenario' but rather it says 'low end amount - 9 in 10 chance of higher.'

It's bad but whatever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Warm Nose said:

If the message is confusing and requires an explanation, it's poorly worded. The inverse map doesn't say 'Best case scenario' but rather it says 'low end amount - 9 in 10 chance of higher.'

It's bad but whatever.

Just use CWG language prediction/boom/bust....that usually makes the weenies happy and less confused. :lol:

16 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

Maybe this sounds silly, but how much of that moisture "barrier" is due to upsloping from the coastal plain to the fall line? Could the fall line actually be squeezing the limited moisture out from the coastal? Or is it just coincidental positioning?

That's a 3-hr precip map, so it's just that by this point the low is moving off the coast.

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

If we could get that MSLP to jog westward even a little, I think we'd be really happy.

1641542400-DNMUVy6n36Q.png

You can start to see the coastal enhancement on the 3k just as the storm get's going, that's what really ends up providing the nice totals D.C-east, from my not-so-expert analysis. Getting that a bit earlier/further west would be nice.

Depends where you are. Near I95 east yea you want that coastal to get going. NW of there actually wants the banding from the upper level SW along the jet streak to hold together longer. As soon as the coastal fgen banding starts to crank it will cut off that band further NW.   It’s not a coincidence that runs that have a better coastal band DC east screw over places like Winchester, Leesburg, Frederick, Westminster.

4 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

GFS is pretty tasty...except the dry slot is over Westminster so we know it's wrong

image.png.9db9a329ecf0b038fe9fa6eea3d981a3.png

It’s not crazy if it’s right about developing that coastal banding where it does. That would kill the SW associated band and put up here is a subsidence zone and yes that does happen. I do get fringed up here. It’s not that rare. Actually it DC is getting cold smoke it’s pretty common. It’s just more than made up for by all the times I get 6” and it’s raining in DC. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Warm Nose said:

It's an awful way to word it. Why not stick with the original designation - 10 percent chance? I'm not surprised honestly but this one is beyond dumb.

Why do any of them at all. Make a forecast and go with it. We’ve had this discussion a million times.

• Like 1

3k NAM gets the coastal associated band going fast enough that it overlaps with the SW associated banding and limits the subsidence zone giving the entire area a nice 3-5” snowfall. That’s the best case scenario but I still find it more likely there is a gap between bands with a general ~2” with two zones of 3-5” on either side.  

Still a general 2-5” snowfall is fine and some places in here will be near median snowfall by the weekend with a pretty favorable pattern ahead. In a Nina no less when a a week ago people were talking about the prospects of a seasonal shutout!   The sky isn’t falling. 

• Like 9