Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Jan 6/7 "Event" and obs

stormtracker

18 minutes ago, mappy said:

I can't read that. Can you? 

I think it looks like Oak Island might get some snow which would affect the efforts of digging for treasure.  They will have to wait a bit to find more rusty metal and a rock with a symbol that some internet guys says "dig here!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Forget the snow maps for a minute, the total precip numbers are pretty well in line with each other:

For a spot near DC:

• 12z HRRR:  0.26"
  • 12z NAM:  0.13"
  • 12z NAM 3k:  0.23"
  • 12z GFS:  0.25"
  • 12z FV3:  0.2-0.3"
  • 12z RGEM:  0.2"
  • 00z Euro: 0.2"
  • 06z Euro: 0.2-0.3"

Throw out the NAM for obvious reasons, and it is a 2-3" snowfall.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Forget the snow maps for a minute, the total precip numbers are pretty well in line with each other:

For a spot near DC:

• 12z HRRR:  0.26"
  • 12z NAM:  0.13"
  • 12z NAM 3k:  0.23"
  • 12z GFS:  0.25"
  • 12z FV3:  0.2-0.3"
  • 12z RGEM:  0.2"
  • 00z Euro: 0.2"

Throw out the NAM for obvious reasons, and it is a 2-3" snowfall.

I think 06z EURO was near 0.3" near DCA?

4 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

Moon angle isn't ideal.. too bad I'll be asleep for this one. 

we got one storm every 3 years and your going to sleep through it! Actually a good idea. Imagine some moron standing by his window with the outside light on watching it snow for 4.5 hours

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Canaan isn't under a watch or anything? Are they just a bit too far east to cash in on the 6-10" totals with this one? What resorts are over there, not as familiar with the WV options. 

This may just be that Pittsburgh hasn't issued them yet. The Charleston office covers the areas in WV under a watch. Pittsburgh does, however, show 4-6 for canaan right now in their forecast.

I know its unlikely, but would LWX go WSWatch for even for 3-5" considering the recent heavy snowfall in the SE zones (aka I95 corridor into EZF/S MD)?  Even if LSR's are 12:1?  0.3" QPF (let's just say for DCA) would suggest near 4" (which is below the 5" WSWatch criteria)... but with powdery snow on top of wet cement snow/ice... wouldn't that create more hazards?

Just a thought.  I figure LWX takes that into account clearly... but wondering what others thought

10 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Canaan isn't under a watch or anything? Are they just a bit too far east to cash in on the 6-10" totals with this one? What resorts are over there, not as familiar with the WV options. 

They have Canaan Valley resort and a much improved Timberline. I was at Canaan a few years ago, and it's a great place on a powder day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

I know its unlikely, but would LWX go WSWatch for even for 3-5" considering the recent heavy snowfall in the SE zones (aka I95 corridor into EZF/S MD)?  Even if LSR's are 12:1?  0.3" QPF (let's just say for DCA) would suggest near 4" (which is below the 5" WSWatch criteria)... but with powdery snow on top of wet cement snow/ice... wouldn't that create more hazards?

Just a thought.  I figure LWX takes that into account clearly... but wondering what others thought

If it happens at rush hour and causes extra hazards, then maybe. But it looks like the snow should mostly be over by then.

10 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Yea Timberline is night and day from a few years ago. The new owners know what they are doing.

It's a whole new mountain.   We just bought a place in Old Timberline.  Hoping for enough of a threat here that Loudoun makes a Friday Closure announcement Thurs afternoon so we can get up there early - we haven't been up there yet when it has been dumping (our place anyway)

• Like 1