Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 6th-7th 2022 Second Chance Storm

John1122

13 minutes ago, John1122 said:

MRX did explain what they think happened. The storm sped up and outran the forcing.  That's why Middle Tennessee got dumped on for 12+ hours and eastern areas mostly faltered. 

I am sure that's happened before but I've never seen it explained before. It's not a common thing it would seem. You don't often see Nashville cash in big but Tri not be able to get there in what appeared to be the set up. Usually that only happens when there's a SE ridge like last year and it's snowing in the mud state and 50+ in the far east. 

I guess we can put that in the bin of things that can screw up a snow event….  It’s a BIG bin.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

I wish they had built a ski resort near the top of the knob in the 1940s, how different would Norton look like if so!  Max elevation at the top is...what? 4200' ? Ski down into the bottom with well over 1000 vertical drop (beech and sugar only drop 7-900 ft) would of been an epic setup.  Norton looks great in snow

From Norton to the top of High Knob is a 2,000 foot elevation difference. They have a 10k race that starts in Norton and follows the road to the top. I have “ran” it the past 3 years. Some of the switchbacks you could almost crawl up the mountain. Would of been a great place for a ski resort.
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Vol Man said:

Looks like we have squeezed out about 1.5" in East Kingsport...still snowing a little...had decent shower for about an hour or so. Sort of surprised after things developed as the afternoon ended.

Yeah, man.  I had just about given up - had given up!!!  Same here in terms of snow.  Nice to get on the board for this winter.  What a wild week.  Glad you got some snow!!!

• Like 8

Ended up with 5 inches here in Big Rock. We had about an hour after it first started with no precip, I'm guessing I got dry slotted for a bit lol. All in all, was a nice little storm. The kiddos had a blast out in the snow. Even the dogs got in on the fun. 

received_959742281611218.jpeg

received_469134194736603.jpeg

received_2805067589792564.jpeg

• Like 12

Interesting little band of snow this morning south of I-40 and east of Knoxville:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611a118b5d870fbb1d137

You can see the normal upslope north and northeast of Knoxville, moving NW to SE. But this little band south of I-40 kind of follows the interstate ENE. You'd think the upslope flow in the low levels would orient everything along the same direction, but apparently this was either at a different level of the atmosphere or something else was going on. 

• Like 2

One option might be that the radar was detecting some virga from a narrow band of high clouds moving in:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76119200cbd3e9e2fc951a

But, the radar site wasn't too far away and I would think if it were virga, it wouldn't show up so close to the site, indicating that it is at least as low level as the upslope. I really wish those high clouds weren't there so I could see the low level flow on IR imagery. 

We've seen a band in upslope south of Knoxville before, and the only thing I can think of is that some vagary in the low level flow in the valley reoriented that band towards the ENE

41 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

That's ideal. 

:weenie:

Hard to beat a good cold snow/high ratio, definitely at the top of the pantheon here. A big bucket lister is to get to enjoy a 2-3 day northwest flow event somewhere in a cabin in the high mountains. 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

18 minutes ago, Bigbald said:

Hard to beat a good cold snow/high ratio, definitely at the top of the pantheon here. A big bucket lister is to get to enjoy a 2-3 day northwest flow event in somewhere in a cabin in the high mountains. 

It is had to beat. Today just feels like a core winter day in the mountains. How it's supposed to feel when living here. Even though it's not a huge storm I love days like this. Roads covering just by flurries.

The big NW event last year I ended up with 7" over two days. It's a different type of event. Slower paced than a regular system. But just as enjoyable. Other than scraping a steep driveway multiple times a day :lol:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 8283 El Nino Baby said:

Snowing here even though nothing is showing on any radar apps. Perhaps the radar cant see it with the low ceiling and 1850 elevation? We had a bust yesterday with less than an inch, but it looks like we got another inch overnight into this morning.

That happens alot for us up here on the plateau, I've had it snow for several hours with nothing on radar. Nothing heavy just a steady light snow. I think your explanation fits , or maybe the orographic flow wrings out the moisture from the air perhaps, since I've noticed it on the back side of storms mostly

• Like 1

This MRX map is not very close in the Scott, Campbell, Claiborne area.  

I was in town in LaFollette 4 hours before it stopped snowing and there was 2.5 inches already then. They got 4.5 inches or so.  Relatives in Tazewell got 5 inches. There was 6 in Oneida. 5-6 over most of Campbell north of LaFollette. 7.5 above 2500. 

YgKOdB.md.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic