Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 6th-7th 2022 Second Chance Storm

John1122

15 minutes ago, 1234snow said:

Just to show the microclimates. 41 when I left Kingsport on the south side of Bays Mountain down to 32 when I got to the state line in Virginia. Snowing pretty solidly here in Weber City with the ground white.

I just came from wise, they were getting hammered up there. I am guessing they go 6 plus easy

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 1234snow said:

Just to show the microclimates. 41 when I left Kingsport on the south side of Bays Mountain down to 32 when I got to the state line in Virginia. Snowing pretty solidly here in Weber City with the ground white.

Snowing pretty good here (north side of Bays) as well.  Ground is white. I didn't even know it was snowing until I read @1234snow's post.  LOL.  

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Wintersnow888 said:

So right now I've got about 5 1/2 - 6 inches. This time I put out a board because I couldn't get an good reading last storm. But it really hasn't stopped coming down,just slowed and is now very small flakes , almost graupel. Nothing on radar over me right now in NW Cumberland co

It's crazy because places in South Cumberland County/Central area only got a dusting in some places (Lake Tansi etc). I don't believe they got much more than that on Sunday either. It's crazy in this county/area how much more it snows in Mayland/Pleasant Hill/Monterey direction despite being similar elevation to most of the county.  I guess it's where it smacks into that part of the Plateau first or something.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bigbald said:

I just came from wise, they were getting hammered up there. I am guessing they go 6 plus easy

Yeah, they are money up there.  If we had to name a snow capital for the forum area, it would be in my top two.  Sits at 2,400' and has a latitude advantage and gets lake effect snow to some extent on northwest flow.  The snow totals they have for storms rivals some cities out West.

• Like 2

Just now, Carvers Gap said:

Yeah, they are money up there.  If we had to name a snow capital for the forum area, it would be in my top two.  Sits at 2,400' and has a latitude advantage and gets lake effect snow to some extent on northwest flow.  The snow totals they have for storms rivals some cities out West.

I wish they had built a ski resort near the top of the knob in the 1940s, how different would Norton look like if so!  Max elevation at the top is...what? 4200' ? Ski down into the bottom with well over 1000 vertical drop (beech and sugar only drop 7-900 ft) would of been an epic setup.  Norton looks great in snow

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Yeah, they hold the state seasonal record of 123.5 inches set in '95-96

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigbald said:

I wish they had built a ski resort near the top of the knob in the 1940s, how different would Norton look like if so!  Max elevation at the top is...what? 4200' ? Ski down into the bottom with well over 1000 vertical drop (beech and sugar only drop 7-900 ft) would of been an epic setup.  Norton looks great in snow

I've always said that . I recall back in the '90's Dierks on WCYB saying their avg seasonal snowfall was over 100 inches.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

I've always said that 100. I recall back in the '90's Dierks on WCYB saying their avg seasonal snowfall was over 100 inches.

Really, it would also fill the void between Western NC to Snowshoe, WV.  Add to that, super easy access off the highway there.  Would of been interesting seeing a high fleutan Norton!

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic