• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 6th-7th 2022 Second Chance Storm

John1122

Forums crashed again for a while there. The Euro is on board for everyone in the region almost. Freezing rain/sleet/light snow in the northern Gulf Coast states, at least an inch in basically all of Tennessee. The Canadian was another monster run for everyone. I would be pretty happy with 50-60 percent of the Canadian run.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bearman said:

I did a lot better when I was a kid and just woke up in the morning to a surprise.  I was a kid in the late 60’s through the mid 70’s and we had a lot of surprises then.

Nothing like a surprise snow honestly. I remember getting out of school early with 3" unforecasted and that was more epic than 8" in 2014 which were modeled beforehand 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mountains/Plateau Winter Storm Watch from MRX.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Morristown TN
315 AM EST Wed Jan 5 2022

TNZ012>015-018-037-041-043-045-047-072-074-087-VAZ001-002-005-006-
008-052030-
/O.NEW.KMRX.WS.A.0001.220106T1700Z-220107T1200Z/
Scott-Campbell-Claiborne-Hancock-Johnson-Union-
Cocke Smoky Mountains-Southeast Greene-Unicoi-Southeast Carter-
Blount Smoky Mountains-Sevier Smoky Mountains-Southeast Monroe-
Lee-Wise-Russell-Washington-
Including the cities of Big South Fork National, Oneida,
Smokey Junction, Elgin, Huntsville, Norma, Slick Rock, Fincastle,
La Follette, Elk Valley, Jellico, White Oak, Caryville,
Royal Blue, Lone Mountain, Sandlick, Springdale, Arthur,
Harrogate-Shawanee, Clairfield, Howard Quarter, Evanston,
Sneedville, Kyles Ford, Doeville, Mountain City, Neva,
Shady Valley, Trade, Laurel Bloomery, Maynardville, Norris Lake,
Paulette, Rose Hill, Sharps Chapel, Luttrell, Hartford,
Cedar Creek, Erwin, Unicoi, Limestone Cove, Hampton, Cades Cove,
Elkmont, Gatlinburg, Citico, Coker Creek, Big Stone Gap, Norton,
Wise, Coeburn, Appalachia, Pardee, Hiltons, Hansonville, Lebanon,
Dye, Castlewood, Honaker, Rosedale, Benhams, Bristol VA,
and Abingdon
315 AM EST Wed Jan 5 2022

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
FRIDAY MORNING...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 7
  inches possible.

* WHERE...Portions of east Tennessee and southwest Virginia.

* WHEN...From Thursday afternoon through Friday morning.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
  conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Monitor the latest forecasts for updates on this situation.

• Like 1

It's like for the lead up to the this, some of the more extreme model camps the models switched sides. Last storm the NAMs were the most suppressed and east, until just before the event, but now they are the furthest north. Last time the Euro was not as consistent as the GFS, but it has consistently shown more snow where the GFS was washed out until about 36 hours ago. 

Definite and clear northwest jog trend underway.  RGEM and NAM are the best examples.  The 6z Euro shows this trend, especially in northern Kentucky.    The 6zGFS was pretty steady.  Could be the short range models are pretty amped, but....they both started the trend within a run or two of the other.  Makes me think some new data has been ingested into modeling.  Not surprising, but the extent of the jog on the two short range models is a pretty big jump.  Now, they may trend SE again...or they may not.  Just have to wait and see.

The trick is to watch the snow axis, not the eastward extent of the snow.  If you live in the eastern valley, the further west that snow axis gets, the more likely the storm loses strength as it moves eastward. Modeling is in two camps right now w the westward trending camp having the most recent runs.  Trends matter from this point forward.  

2 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Definite and clear northwest jog trend underway.

I was actually thinking I would wake up and the I'd be on the rain/snow line for the 6z runs, lol. 

WPC forecast actually thinks it will be an icy day for us tomorrow, although they don't give any reasoning in their discussion:

"By Thursday, a wave of low pressure is forecast to develop along the arctic front over the Deep South. This low pressure wave is forecast to develop further as it tracks toward the northeast. This will bring an increasing threat of a winter storm from the Tennessee Valley and areas farther northeast on Thursday. The heaviest snow may fall over parts of the Central Appalachians while ice may impact much of Tennessee and northern Mississippi/Alabama."

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I was actually thinking I would wake up and the I'd be on the rain/snow line for the 6z runs, lol. 

WPC forecast actually thinks it will be an icy day for us tomorrow, although they don't give any reasoning in their discussion:

"By Thursday, a wave of low pressure is forecast to develop along the arctic front over the Deep South. This low pressure wave is forecast to develop further as it tracks toward the northeast. This will bring an increasing threat of a winter storm from the Tennessee Valley and areas farther northeast on Thursday. The heaviest snow may fall over parts of the Central Appalachians while ice may impact much of Tennessee and northern Mississippi/Alabama."

Looks like that map was likely made prior to the 6z RGEM/NAM runs.  We will find out in a few hours if those 6z short range models caught an actual trend or amped up a bit much.   The RGEM moving that much is a significant.

8 minutes ago, bearman said:

I am trying to see this northern trend but the models seem rather steady just a small jog north and west.  What am I missing?  They have seemed fairly steady with their depection of the snow rain line as far as I can see help me understand what you are seeing.

Will get you a comparison map.  Give me just a sec.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 6z NAM/RGEM have been trending northwestward for several runs.  I went ahead and have compared their most recent run to 12z yesterday.    The most recent trends usually matter the most.  Now, most NW trends tend to stop and come back slightly at the tend.

Screen_Shot_2022-01-05_at_7.43.51_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2022-01-05_at_7.43.11_AM.png

Edit:  Forgot to add the Euro run comparison, 0z to 6z. Take a look at the westward expanse of the precip shield and also where the ice is.  (New run is on the left.  Old run is on the right.). Both have shifted northwestward, though not as pronounced at the RGEM/NAM runs.   Watch the northwest edge of the precip.  When those shift, it can mean the storm is strong and/or that the entry into the forum area has shifted westward. Here is the Euro comparison from 0z to 6z.  

Screen_Shot_2022-01-05_at_7.50.00_AM.png

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic