• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Small or possibly moderate wintry event possible for a portion of the NYC subforum Friday morning-early afternoon 1/7/22

wdrag

NAM starts the storm quite far south moves it into Georgia and South Carolina. It's still quite early for the NAM which doesn't usually get it right until inside 24 hours, but it appears that the storm has hard time intensifying and turning up the coast. Yet snow is about to move in during the early morning hours Friday. Right now, NAM says no big deal just a little snow.

WX/PT

• Like 2

Wouldn't trust the RGEM on its own yet. If the Euro keeps coming west then maybe. 

NAM obviously would be a disaster. I do buy the dual-max idea it has with the initial round of snow well inland, a subsidence zone then the coastal low snow. but to me it's ridiculous how bad it has that. It's just a disjointed mess it seems. 

• Like 2

I'm a little cautious. Checked some 00z guidance, banding, DGZ...  I just wish we had more 850 low development further south. Seems to me like a 5-10 hour event..

Good short wave, but little inflow and certainly no easterly inflow at 850MB, at least not yet. Banding possible could enhance snowfall. Too early for me to be sure where.  EPS-GEFS from 12z/4 and 00z/5 were timid.

There is time... and NYC-LI you should get your first solid inch. 

Here's my take for the forum not reviewing 06z 3KNAM Banding.

Midnight-Noon Friday: A 5 to 10 hour period of snow occurs from northern VA through Baltimore, PA/NJ/NYC and the I84 corridor to Boston. Amounts should be in the range of 1-5". Uncertain where the heaviest occurs, though tending to favor coastal NJ through NYC and especially CT/MA but this could be wrong. All untreated surfaces will be snow covered and slippery for a few hours near dawn Friday, so prepare for some delays in snowy conditions. Snow ends Baltimore around sunrise, ends NYC/nw NJ/ne PA 9-11A but for Boston it may linger til mid afternoon. Added three graphics generated around 4am today: showing the chance of 1" and 4+" and the Winter Storm Severity Index. We can add the regional snowfall forecast by the NWS when it updates at 530AM.

Adjustments in amounts and ultimate heaviest axis will need to be further reviewed-changed.  We'll have the SPC HREF at 11AM for a first crack up to 7AM Friday. 

Added NWS snowfall forecast as collaborated through 5A today.

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 4.22.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 4.22.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 4.47.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 5.44.48 AM.png

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Nws going with 3 inches in NYC. There will also be higher ratios with this.

It’s a good call after getting burned Monday. 3” is just enough to plow and shovel, especially since it will be accumulating on all surfaces. Often in marginal event’s especially here in the city you may have 6” on the grass but on really an inch or two of slush on the pavement. 
There is still a decent upside depending on where banding sets up, someone in our area will see 8”. 

• Like 2