• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Small or possibly moderate wintry event possible for a portion of the NYC subforum Friday morning-early afternoon 1/7/22

wdrag

42 minutes ago, NittanyWx said:

Its useful in those very specific situations but it really struggles with overdoing its QPF fairly often too.  

Yeah, overdoing precipitation and underestimating surface temperatures in strong WAA are a few if it’s biases. But changing over to a FV3 CAM based version may introduce whole new set of strengths and weaknesses. I know forecasters struggled through the recent GFS upgrades with all the new errors and biases that needed fixes.

• Like 1

Just now, bluewave said:

Yeah, overdoing precipitation and underestimating surface temperatures in strong WAA are a few if it’s biases. But changing over to a FV3 CAM based version may introduce whole new set of strengths and weaknesses. I know forecasters struggled through the recent GFS upgrades when the new model kept showing so many long range snowfall false alarms.  

I've long felt the consistent tinkering of these models is becoming a fools errand on several fronts and leading to more significant forecaster error.

A lot of these billed upgrades lead to only minor skill improvements and the yearly updates in an attempt to bias correct make it exceedingly difficult to figure out what those biases are from year to year.  Bybthe time you get the bias down it changes. 

That said, the one constant bias has been Euro massively overdoing low level cold after a snowfall.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NittanyWx said:

I've long felt the consistent tinkering of these models is becoming a fools errand on several fronts and leading to more significant forecaster error.

A lot of these billed upgrades lead to only minor skill improvements and the yearly updates in an attempt to bias correct make it exceedingly difficult to figure out what those biases are from year to year.  Bybthe time you get the bias down it changes. 

That said, the one constant bias has been Euro massively overdoing low level cold after a snowfall.

Yeah, that has been a well known bias along with the surface wind gusts. I know they seem to have reduced the wind gust error in the latest upgrade. The best storm track performance that I have seen from the Euro was Sandy and Nemo from the longer range. It may be that there is something about the model that handles phasing better than other models.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The NAM usually does a pretty good job from around 24hrs out. That’s why I am not a big fan of replacing it with some FV3 based CAM. Not sure why they don’t just stick with the NAM and upgrade it regularly like Canada does with the RGEM. The NAM does a great job when dry air is involved like yesterday. It excels when there is a warm tongue between 900 and 750 mb. And when there is a legit very heavy snow threat like January 2016 it’s a strong performer also. 

I love the NAM it hit a grand slam with Jan 2016 and a few other of our really big storms.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

18Z GFS east, 18Z RGEM west. 18Z NAM about the same as 12z with setup but very little snow. Models still don't have a good handle on this one. 

That actually sounds like a pretty good handle. No discernable trend - take the average. It's not really possible for them to show exactly the same surface weather 3 days out.

Where are all you fellas who say how well the models usual do ? As far as the rest of you guys who are giving up on this or living model run to model run / or shooting this one down with more than 2 days to go = all I can say is I don't know as much as most of you ( not even close ) but I know enough to see that the threat is still out there and very much alive. There is a long way to go with this one it is far from a done deal -->either way. Now carry on 

2 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Where are all you fellas who say how well the models usual do ? As far as the rest of you guys who are giving up on this or living model run to model run / or shooting this one down with more than 2 days to go = all I can say is I don't know as much as most of you ( not even close ) but I know enough to see that the threat is still out there and very much alive. There is a long way to go with this one it is far from a done deal -->either way. Now carry on 

The models do very well.  Don’t manufacture a storm. Don’t manufacturer a bust.

Right now the models are telling you there is going to be some snow Friday.

Now the old Mr G line: “some snow or some snow?”

That is TBD

Im glad GFS is east…that means it will be a blizzard given its record this year

• Like 6

Just now, jfklganyc said:

The models do very well.  Don’t manufacture a storm. Don’t manufacturer a bust.

Right now the models are telling you there is going to be some snow Friday.

Now the old Mr G line: “some snow or some snow?”

That is TBD

Im glad GFS is east…that means it will be a blizzard given its record this year

I used to watch him when I was a kid.  I remember him using that 5 days before the blizzard of '96.   

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

Even if everything worked out perfect, wouldn’t the speed of this system cut our chances of big snows Friday? I mean obviously I hope I’m wrong. 

Yes definitely.  But 6"+ for a chunk of our subforum isn't out of the question if things line up properly.  

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Yes definitely.  But 6"+ for a chunk of our subforum isn't out of the question if things line up properly.  

Jersey Shore and central and eastern LI have greatest chance IMO for 6 inches according to current guidance

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Ask the people down in VA along the I95 corridor if the fast moving system yesterday limited the effects too much ;)

They had a massive push of GOM moisture out ahead of a robust and sharpening southern stream wave. The Thursday night event will not have that. We'll have to do more with less. Ratios should be much better, but we shouldn't be expecting .3" liquid hourly QPF totals this go around.

42 minutes ago, eduggs said:

They had a massive push of GOM moisture out ahead of a robust and sharpening southern stream wave. The Thursday night event will not have that. We'll have to do more with less. Ratios should be much better, but we shouldn't be expecting .3" liquid hourly QPF totals this go around.

QPF.png