• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Small or possibly moderate wintry event possible for a portion of the NYC subforum Friday morning-early afternoon 1/7/22

wdrag

Cyclic modeling of the EC/GGEM and ensemble portion of the GFS since this weekend has been developing a fast moving late developing coastal low, resulting in a period of precipitation occurring mainly between midnight and 6PM Friday.  Tracking and therefore precipitation type are uncertain but recent ensembles were offering at least 2" of snow to portions of our area, the EPS furthest west and the GEFS/GEPS a bit further east.   The GFS op model has been generally offshore. 

If the low develops further north or further east, very little snow will occur here. Right now 850MB Low development looks too far north for a moderate event but probably worthy of monitoring and trying to figure it out. 

Based on the model performance for the 1/3/21 grazer snow,  we may not know much til we see the NAM consistently give us 1/4" qpf in frozen form with more than 2" of event Total Positive Snow Depth as shown on the Tropical Tidbits web site.  

12z/3 500MB ensemble plots below serve as a baseline to witness future modeling departures, GEFS top and EPS next. IF this approaching short wave ends up weaker or further north, it will be difficult to receive meaningful snow here.  

At 321PM added the 16z/3 WPC D4-5 probs of 1/4" frozen W.E. (lower 2 graphics) which bridges Friday morning 12z/7.  The darker green is greater than 30% chance. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 2.08.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 2.09.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 2.06.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 2.06.25 PM.png

• Like 5

• Rjay pinned this topic

Not great wave spacing on the 18z GFS. The best baroclinicity is offshore. That's not a great look. But the trof axis is nice as things stand, so it wouldn't take much of a sharpening of the trof to kickstart a more tucked surface system. Inter-model ensembles are still supportive of something. Unfortunately everyone is eager for a slam dunk biggie.

11 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Not great wave spacing on the 18z GFS. The best baroclinicity is offshore. That's not a great look. But the trof axis is nice as things stand, so it wouldn't take much of a sharpening of the trof to kickstart a more tucked surface system. Inter-model ensembles are still supportive of something. Unfortunately everyone is eager for a slam dunk biggie.

Just give me a 3-6 system and call it a day. Too much to ask? :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eduggs said:

I would put our odds at a 3-6" storm about 50/50 right now

• Weenie 1

No model consensus and lots of possibilities that this could be less because of the track and stage of development.  It's out there... we know it is of interest but when you see the NOHRSC snowfall analysis on the OBS page,  you can feel the disappointment.  Might happen again. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Jt17 said:

Nah, I've been scanning weather forums for decades. This is odd. 

I think the reason is that all of the models including the ECMWF have been shaky this season. 5 or 6 years ago, even 3 years ago with the Euro maps we see today there's be far more excitement because the European seemed to be verifying a little better.  Also, we're still not in an ideal pattern for east coast storms, the kind that dump all along I-95 and coastal areas. We'll see if we're able to change the tide this Thursday-Friday.

WX/PT 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, North and West said:

I think it’s just exhaustion from COVID, missing out on today’s snow, and getting back into normal work/school/family life on the first day after a long break.

I think this has a lot to do with it.

Nothing is really going right at the moment…including the winter weather many of us look forward to.

This holiday season is like a Mets playoff run…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Jt17 said:

Just wondering how the euro could look like THAT 3.5 days before the possible event and this forum can be so dead?

We want to see the whites of its dendrites before we strip down.  Figure tomorrows 0z runs and people will start to get the vibe going.  

• Like 2