• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York- Jan 5-7 Lake Effect Snow Event

I just posted on the other thread regarding the 18z GFS a bad the amount of opportunities over the next 24 days…digging deeper, KBUF, I believe, was 25” below average for the season snowfall. We almost made that up today. By the end of this run, We could be seeing above average positive anomalies. That’s amazing considering where we were at. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Not sure if it means much at this point but the western end of Lake Erie has really blossomed in the past hour, and what seems to be a SSW trajectory?

I think she's just about done.  Mid lake single band is falling apart into cellular pulses, and the lack of any real penetration inland is wasting whatever the band had left.  Just imagine if the winds overnight were a little less intense and the winds tonight just had a little kick to them, could have really bumped up totals.  Rates in the heart of the band tonight are just not that impressive.    

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I think there is quite a few more maybe 3-4? Jan 2019 had 2? Didnt early Jan 2014 have one?

Here is one.

UPDATE: The latest total comes in at 18.4”!

wow yeah you might be right.  thats my task this week is to get this list updated!  the way these north town guys cry how they don't get big storms anymore and we really had that many top 20 setting events at KBUF during "the drought"?

• Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

wow yeah you might be right.  thats my task this week is to get this list updated!  the way these north town guys cry how they don't get big storms anymore and we really had that many top 20 setting events at KBUF during "the drought"?

I wish you luck. I tried for the last hour and its not easy.

2 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Just checked the Springville webcam and it looks like moderate snow there. Not sure if this band is associated with the East coast system or lake effect...or a lake enhanced combo?

image.thumb.png.89dba78cecd3343199b1eb22e4d5076b.png

That's from the storm system+orographic lift over the hilly terrain south/southeast of them.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

KBUF isn’t on the same heading as North Buffalo/Northtowns, but you do you, boss

1 hour ago, LakeEffectKing said:

From BUF NWS FB page:

....looks like a coupon I should clip...;)

Screenshot_20220107-055829_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9758bc68b28cab364e947e0655bb3029.jpg

Wait, second only to January 11th 1982? Didn’t the Blizzard of ‘85 have a say in that? Never mind I see it was .9” more. I will say two things stick out to me about that list of top 20 snowfalls at KBUF…there will never be another stretch like we had in December Xmas week, that’s a unicorn and March 17th 1936…that must’ve been one hell of a synoptic storm as there was zero chance that was lake effect.