• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 3, 2022 CAPE Storm Obs/Nowcast

WxUSAF

Ended up being a 27hr chase gate to gate from Greenville NC, required application of knowledge learned both in the mid Atlantic over the past 10-15 years punching some of the larger events on record and new things learned out in the PAC NW over the past two years, specifically wheel chains which I purchased for required areas out there and used on the rear for our drive down 1 to Ladysmith, we left about 430pm yesterday. VA law notes tire studs, chain info seems to be prohibited per law unless conditions warrant them in season but still unsure.  And that’s with a 4x4 truck, it was rough.

9am

12pm

3pm

~14” with >1.5” liquid equivalent, heavy and wet with the pivot main deform supporting improved ratios after 11am

F67835C1-10F0-42FC-A4B4-61927964423E.thumb.png.90ef823f727f45567e5e2dc85b1569aa.pngDCA5D109-E0DA-4CD7-9BB4-3035A59E8926.thumb.png.e7f162c791f6cb8816274adedfe7cab6.png

• Like 7

Anyone else have the following?

Elevated surfaces accumulated slower than some fully shaded  ground spots?
6” on snowboard but 7.5 scattered shaded ground and not a drift. Cars did well at 8”

currently 28.3F and 4.75 remaining  on board

100% snow coverage where not hand removed. Max ground depth 6”  and full sun depth 2.5-3.5 

9 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

Anyone else have the following?

Elevated surfaces accumulated slower than some fully shaded  ground spots?
6” on snowboard but 7.5 scattered shaded ground and not a drift. Cars did well at 8”

currently 28.3F and 4.75 remaining  on board

100% snow coverage where not hand removed. Max ground depth 6”  and full sun depth 2.5-3.5 

Same, the cars cooled fastest and had the most accumulation.  Ground-level snow board was relatively low compared to elevated surfaces.

On 1/4/2022 at 6:14 PM, WeatherNC said:

Ended up being a 27hr chase gate to gate from Greenville NC, required application of knowledge learned both in the mid Atlantic over the past 10-15 years punching some of the larger events on record and new things learned out in the PAC NW over the past two years, specifically wheel chains which I purchased for required areas out there and used on the rear for our drive down 1 to Ladysmith, we left about 430pm yesterday. VA law notes tire studs, chain info seems to be prohibited per law unless

Exact location I live. We are still without power and seeing the tree devastation…it’s understandable. 

First time back at work in Annapolis since the storm. I was shocked to see all the tree damage at my work.  A lot of large tree limbs down, small trees snapped in half or uprooted. The area has really suffered a lot of wind/tree damage over the past two years. Two tornados, a couple wind storms, and then this snowstorm really has caused a lot of tree damage.