Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 3, 2022 CAPE Storm Obs/Nowcast

WxUSAF

1 hour ago, Jebman said:

You are VERY welcome! I am pulling for a lot MORE great snowstorms for you all there in the Mid Atlantic Region! You are gonna get demolished by heavy snow quite a few times this winter!

Jebman is the absolute best snow cheerleader for all of us! You need to be promoted as the Mid Atlantic snow czar.

31 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

DCA updated to 6.9”. Highest of the 3 airports now.

Why does the airport always record lower than surrounding locations it seems like. Alexandria which is not that far recorded 9.2 inches. Somehow, a 4.2 mile difference= almost 3 inches difference in snow? 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

Why does the airport always record lower than surrounding locations it seems like. Alexandria which is not that far recorded 9.2 inches. Somehow, a 4.2 mile difference= almost 3 inches difference in snow? 

Well right now with 100% snow cover within 15 miles  of DCA its5-6 degrees warmer. Explain to me with that much deep snow cover how Any “heat island” element is existing

So much pressure was exerted over temps and snow totals post Snowmaggedon that snow totals have cleaned up and become more matching.  The issue with the temps is very very likely the improper placement of the actual thermometer. 

Set my storm total at 9.5". AACo. Had a few yard readings at 10+, but also some lesser. 

Phenomenal compaction between readings.  At 8am had about 1.5 on the picnic table but 3" on my car. Took a pic of the ruler while cleaning the car, but by the time I  got to work the thread was kind of beyond that so never posted it. Power out most all day both home and work. Woodstove keeping the house toasty now.

20 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Well right now with 100% snow cover within 15 miles  of DCA its5-6 degrees warmer. Explain to me with that much deep snow cover how Any “heat island” element is existing

So much pressure was exerted over temps and snow totals post Snowmaggedon that snow totals have cleaned up and become more matching.  The issue with the temps is very very likely the improper placement of the actual thermometer. 

Should the airport total not be trusted then? At the very least the discrepancy seems weird.

3 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

Should the airport total not be trusted then? At the very least the discrepancy seems weird.

Unless there is a tent covering the temperature area then there is no reason for 5-6 degree variance for 1-7 miles  away with 100% snow cover and same sky and wind conditions. What then is “trapping” the heat and preventing radiance or what is “adding ” additional heat to that site alone.?

36 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

There are some 7-8" readings that support DCA total to some extent, but at sea level on the river outside a terminal, this was a tough start after a warm day.  So they probably got a late start with lots of melting, and then compaction later on.  And they don't always take it as seriously.  You shove a ruler into a patch of grass at an airport at sea level on a river and totals will suffer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Unless there is a tent covering the temperature area then there is no reason for 5-6 degree variance for 1-7 miles  away with 100% snow cover and same sky and wind conditions. What then is “trapping” the heat and preventing radiance or what is “adding ” additional heat to that site alone.?

Eh most of the stations on Wunderground in the urban core are within a degree or two of DCA (the Hill is ~2 degrees warmer and Rosslyn is ~2 degrees cooler, for example). Generally DCA is pretty representative of the urban core. The main explanation is density—get more than three miles away from DCA (fewer if you go south and west), and the landscape has much more green space and far less concrete. DCA may not be the most representative of Washington as a whole, but it’s not out of line with the immediate vicinity with similar levels of development. 

3 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

Was that your report that NWS Sterling has up on their snowfall map?  Congrats on jackpotting!  My sister lives off Walton Road down there, and my parents are off Rt. 4 about 4 miles south of Dunkirk.  They lost a lot of trees!

02:15 pm EST - 1/3/2022 SW HUNTINGTOWN, MD 15.5

Yes.  Just finished helping to cut up several pines that fell down back here.  Bit of a mess with the trees, thats for sure.  Now just waiting for our HOA to get the road plowed.  Pretty day, for sure. Best snow since Feb 2010 for us here.  Cheers!

4 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

I’ve been waiting for years to have a good snowfall close enough to Christmas to see the lights in the snow.  Does not disappoint.

Awesome pictures, MN! And I totally agree…I was so stoked to be able to see and get pictures of our place with the lights still up. Got some decent ones.

Out back as the sun was setting:

kOizEuQ.jpg

Holly tree out front. One limb had already snapped off, and I was nervous for two more (one of which is obvious from this picture:

EkWCi6f.jpg

Sagging knockout roses:

yOPNPLK.jpg

Wide shot from across the street:

kPe1lBT.jpg

• Like 13

2 hours ago, SnowLover22 said:

Maybe the Potomac. I am in Calvert and 3 mi east of me has 4 in less snow thanks to the bay.  

17 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Awesome pictures, MN! And I totally agree…I was so stoked to be able to see and get pictures of our place with the lights still up. Got some decent ones.

Out back as the sun was setting:

kOizEuQ.jpg

Holly tree out front. One limb had already snapped off, and I was nervous for two more (one of which is obvious from this picture:

EkWCi6f.jpg

Sagging knockout roses:

yOPNPLK.jpg

Wide shot from across the street:

kPe1lBT.jpg

Love that last one

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Love that last one

Thanks! I’m partial to that one, as well. That deep black sky behind the lit-up house with black shutters that’s swallowed up by snow…it just feels right.

Helps that my boy is watching me out the front door like “Dafuq you doin’ out there, dad?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2